Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How the heck do you install a coil over shock on the front of txt? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=142959)

Barbersboy 06-16-2018 03:12 PM

How the heck do you install a coil over shock on the front of txt?

I’ve tried everything. They seem too long. Please help.

Mrjonman 06-17-2018 09:56 AM

Re: How the heck do you install a coil over shock on the front of txt?

I’m not certain, but when I briefly looked into them to help my ride quality, I believe install requires the use of a spring compression tool. If so, should be able to rent one from the local auto parts store.

Interested in hearing how your ride quality is once installed

StoveBolt 06-17-2018 10:04 AM

Why would you want to? .. Just curious.

Barbersboy 06-26-2018 08:28 AM

I installed 20x10x10 AT tires and I they rub occasionally. I do not want to lift it but I like the aggressive look and was trying to bring it up a little bit. I had one inch spacers on it for increased stance but that really didnt work.

Barbersboy 06-26-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrjonman (Post 1512828)
I’m not certain, but when I briefly looked into them to help my ride quality, I believe install requires the use of a spring compression tool. If so, should be able to rent one from the local auto parts store.

Interested in hearing how your ride quality is once installed

I tried the spring compression tool and it didnt work. I have 12 inches of clearance and the travel on these is only 4 inches. with the shock being 18 inches long this still leaves me with 2 inches to go. One if i stand on the axle.

Barbersboy 06-26-2018 08:31 AM

Thank you for replies

Skoal82 06-26-2018 05:50 PM

Were did you get the shock from?

Rooster59 06-26-2018 09:23 PM

Have you tried putting the cart on jackstands so the front springs/shocks will drop down further? You didn't mention if the wheels are on the ground or in the air.

winjury 02-16-2024 10:30 AM

I know this is old but i have done this many times- honestly, if you cant figure out how to get more clearance (clerance?) you probably shouldnt be tackling this job.

Odds are the coilovers are about 1" longer then the factory level shocks you took off. The goal is the get more clearance between the body thats moveable and the frame which isnt. The easiest way is to put a jack on the body and lift it until the tires come off the ground, then back it off until the tires just touch the ground- this is the max clearance you will get with the body attached. At this point, you are probably about 1/4" still too long. Make sure to install the top end (loose or tightened slightly is up to you). Then attempt to bring the bottom end up on the frame side mount- its curved down so you can slowly work your way up to the mounting hole. It can be done, but itll take some elbow grease.
Once it seats in the hole release the jack so you can tighten down correctly the coilvers evently.

NOTE: if you still cant get it in then youll be looking at loosening the frame from the body, then itll be easy to install however thats an added step.