Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ausco disc brake install Precedent Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=90364)

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:07 PM

Ausco disc brake install Precedent Club Car

After adding a lot of weight to my Precedent and driving it around all last summer I noticed that the brakes could use a little attention. I decided on Ausco disc brakes. These are for the rear and are mechanical using you stock cables. I couldn't find a complete install thread so I am adding this one to help those thinking of doing the same. Pictures included. If you are unfamiliar with some simple tools and how to do things safely, then you should not attempt. The kit is becoming much more affordable and I believe I paid $235 for mine on sale. Google the kit and find the best price for yourself.

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:09 PM

Re: Ausco disc brake install Precedent Club Car

1 Attachment(s)
First remove the driver's side wheel (must be 10" or more to use kit).
Of course you need to jack the rear up and use jack stands for safety.
Remove the brake drum. It should slide right off.

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You will need to look through the little hole on the hub and you will see a c-clip with 2 little holes. You are instructed to use a 90 degree set of inner snap ring pliers. I did not have those and would not let that stop me. I took a set of slim needle nose pliers and bent the tips in a bit and they worked like a charm.

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once the internal retaining ring is free then the axle will slide right out. Some fluid will also leak out so use a pan to catch it. Keep the part out of the way and CLEAN.

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next it is time to remove the brake cable from the assembly. Take the cotter pin and clevis pin out and SAVE. The tricky part is releasing the brake cable from the brake cable bracket. Most folks would instruct you to purchase a Club Car brake release tool which is good. I do not have one and did not want to buy one. I used an open ended 1/2" wrench and put it on the cable retaining piece that holds it to the brake cable bracket. Snug it on more with a few taps with a blunt object and it compresses and pops right out.

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There are four bolts (1/2") that hold the brake assembly on. Remove them and SAVE. Remove the assembly. The pictures below show the bare axle tube and the parts you should have accumulated by now.

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now you must cut the old cable bracket off to clear room for the new one that comes with the kit. I used a plastic solo cup that fit very snug onto the axle to keep out any little metal flakes. I used a dremel and it took about 5 minutes to cut through most of the bracket. A pair of vice grips and a little side to side motion and the bracket popped right off.

1970buick 02-12-2014 09:28 PM

More to come as I finish this project in next couple days.

scottyb 02-13-2014 10:49 AM

This is a great install thread. Nice to see and hear real feed back.

I missed the product update where Ausco made this kit fit Precedent models. I wonder if the brake cable bracket was the main modification.
Keep up the good work :thumbup:

1970buick 02-13-2014 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, almost finished. Here is a tip that is not in the directions. The parts all come as bare metal. This stuff would rust the first time it gets wet. I masked off the brake pads and the part of the rotors where the pads would make contact and painted everything with industrial spray cans. Turned out nice and will keep it somewhat sealed. So, the next step is to take the mounting bracket and bolt it to the axle tube (on the outside lip) with the four bolts you saved from the brake assembly. (all are 1/2" bolts) Directly afterwards carefully slide your axle back in and replace the snap ring. I like to push on the snap ring in a few spots with a flathead screwdriver to make sure it is seated properly.