Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   06 EZGO PDS 36V Overheating Resistor Dead Cart (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=153894)

RacingRicki 06-11-2019 10:25 PM

06 EZGO PDS 36V Overheating Resistor Dead Cart

I have an EZGO TXT 36V that won't go. With the tow switch on the run position the resistor across the relay gets really hot and starts smoking. Turning the key switch on turns on the battery indicator and the reverse beeper works but that's about it. No relay click when I actuate the pedal. Diagnostic code is 2-1 (low voltage).

In Run mode with the key switch on and in forward position, I have 37.1V on the yellow wire going to the small terminal of the relay and 36.8V on the blue wire terminal. I disconnected the 10-pin molex connector and tested the relay by putting battery voltage across the small terminals and heard it click.

I'm thinking the resistor gets hot because the controller is trying to pass amps to the motor and since the relay doesn't turn on all the current goes through the resistor.

Shouldn't the blue wire on the relay have zero volts if the yellow wire has full battery voltage. Is it the controller's job to ground the blue wire?

Any ideas?

RacingRicki 06-12-2019 05:54 AM

Re: 06 EZGO PDS 36V Overheating Resistor Dead Cart

More troubleshooting: I disconnected the resistor so it won't overheat and I decided to try and get the relay to fire so I rigged up an external switch to power the coil terminals direct from the battery and disconnected the blue and yellow wires from the relay. Yellow terminal -> B+ Blue terminal -> B-

I turned on the key switch, in forward, in Run mode and Actuated the pedal while energizing the relay manually with my external switch. The relay clicks and I get battery voltage on the other side of the relay (A2); however, the wheels still do not turn.

Voltage at the A1 terminal on the controller is full pack voltage or close to it at 36V and doesn't go down as I push the pedal to the floor.

Since the blue terminal wire for the relay and the A1 output terminal from the controller doesn't go to ground, I'm thinking a bad controller.

RacingRicki 06-22-2019 11:03 AM

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

I was able to use the troubleshooting guides posted on this forum to diagnose the problem. The troubleshooting flowcharts in the service manual were especially helpful. Found the controller was bad. Bought a new AllTrax controller and the cart runs again.

orangeman6 06-22-2019 04:45 PM

Glad you got it working. Usually well formed requests like yours get good responses. Sometimes things get buried and nobody sees them.