Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   82 Club want to increase speed to 20mph (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=66135)

chloichina 06-22-2012 09:59 PM

82 Club want to increase speed to 20mph

Greetings new to Golf Carts. Just purchased a 1982 36V Club Car it is in great condition but does need some work electrically 30 year old wiring and so. It does run great but I want to reach at least 20 mph so I can tag it in Florida. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I would love just to switch the gearing if possible to reach the speed for inspection then I would switch back to original. I just want to make it street legal and use it around the neighborhood.

shadowman 06-22-2012 10:34 PM

Re: 82 Club want to increase speed to 20mph

an 82 is a 5 solenoid resistor cart and the only way your gonna get it to 20mph is to upgrade it to a controller cart and add a high speed motor.......theres no simple solution to get it that fast......and its not gonna be cheap................have a talk with scotty he sells kits and price is right............................8)

scottyb 06-23-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowman (Post 741116)
an 82 is a 5 solenoid resistor cart and the only way your gonna get it to 20mph is to upgrade it to a controller cart and add a high speed motor.......theres no simple solution to get it that fast......and its not gonna be cheap................have a talk with scotty he sells kits and price is right............................8)

Thanks Shadowman. :thumbup:

I agree, getting an early series cart to 20mph will take a combination of things. Like a 48v speed control conversion and a hi-speed motor or taller tires. Do it right and you will enjoy it for years to come.
There is no one thing you can bolt on for 20mph and then take off after the DMV test.

chloichina 06-23-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 741193)
Thanks Shadowman. :thumbup:

I agree, getting an early series cart to 20mph will take a combination of things. Like a 48v speed control conversion and a hi-speed motor or taller tires. Do it right and you will enjoy it for years to come.
There is no one thing you can bolt on for 20mph and then take off after the DMV test.

Ok so I am obviously a novice right now about the carts but I do learn fast. I also have figured out they do not make a performance male 16 spline motor. I am able to get a hold of a couple of rear transaxles but unsure what years. I don't want to chase my tail looking for parts. If I am going to spend more than a couple hundred dollars to temporarily do it, then how much to do it right and what parts?

shadowman 06-23-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloichina (Post 741203)
Ok so I am obviously a novice right now about the carts but I do learn fast. I also have figured out they do not make a performance male 16 spline motor. I am able to get a hold of a couple of rear transaxles but unsure what years. I don't want to chase my tail looking for parts. If I am going to spend more than a couple hundred dollars to temporarily do it, then how much to do it right and what parts?

you can send your motor to PQ ( site sponsers ) and have them redo it for you.............but you need to upgrade the rest of the system............................8)

oconnorb 06-23-2012 09:23 PM

It is not cheap… I agree with others, do it right the first time regardless of the cost and it will last forever, short cuts only last a short time.

TheWiltz 06-23-2012 09:57 PM

Just another thought, if you temporarily get to 20 then go back to 13 you will be very disappointed in your cart. 12 to 13 is SLOW.

Just do it right. Or sell that cart and buy on that goes 20.

Good luck.

93-306 06-24-2012 08:46 AM

Mine is a 74 Club Car running T105's with a plum quick bandit motor all 2/0 cables and I average 17mph with a fastest run yet being 22mph. You are gonna have to upgrade to 48v with at least a Bandit rebuild.

89GatorClub 06-24-2012 01:17 PM

Hmm my 89 is running 48 volts on a stock 36v motor and avg 17 mph....I did buy the conversion kit from ScottyB but I made custom cables out of 1/0 welding cable(yes its over kill for that size wire but it was Free) Wondering how fast my cart would go with a rebuilt 36 volt