Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Melex (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   melex 202 slow on uphill and resistor coils get extremely hot (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=114911)

Riderrob88 02-14-2016 02:13 AM

melex 202 slow on uphill and resistor coils get extremely hot

I just got a melex 202 i re wired by the melex 212 wiring diagram and it did not move. When i got the cart it woukd not climb hills. It would only move on down hill and flat surfaces. I went through the wiring and used a multi meter and got it working. However it will not climb even slight grades well. The battery voltage is good, the motor seems to be working fine, the solenoid seems to be working fine....however the coils will glow red after trying to climb a hill and result in me pushing the cart while the wife accelerates. I knkw this isnt right. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

Btw this is my first sparky, i have fixed gas carts in the past but this is a new ball game for me

Epb 02-16-2016 09:58 PM

Re: melex 202 slow on uphill and resistor coils get extremely hot

It reads like you are nit getting to full throttle, direct power from batteries. You need to look at peddle control and make sure you get to full throttle. Long periods on those carts on resistors will make them hot.

Riderrob88 02-16-2016 10:27 PM

The pedal goes to the floor. The resistors get hot after a few minutes of going up a hill. Compared to other carts it goes maybe 1/4of the speed of theirs going up hill. I believe its a wiring issue or the resistors. I followed the melex diagram to a tee and ot wouldnt move anywhere. I swapped some wires around and it moved but something still isnt right

Epb 02-17-2016 06:39 AM

Pedal may go to floor but is the swiper assembly moving to full throttle.
Resistors aren't broken, corrosion free?
Take a pic and post of the resistors and swiper with pedal up and down
I have a melex book so give serial # and maybe I can find a wiring diagram for you. My book is 152,252,412 but could be similar to 212

scottyb 02-17-2016 10:02 AM

You may have gotten it to move but, it does not sound like it is wired correctly. At wide open throttle there should be no coil in the delivery system. A coil heating up at WOT requires a diagram recheck .

Riderrob88 02-17-2016 04:14 PM

I will post pics when i get home. I am going to order the resister coils bc they look old and worn. I dont think its wired right either.

Riderrob88 02-17-2016 08:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics

Riderrob88 02-17-2016 08:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the model and serial

Epb 02-17-2016 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your resistors are in the back so this wiring diagram is for you. This is good up to serial166610.
I would clean up the swiper area. These things are fickle and u can experience a no go then off she goes full speed. After clean have friend move pedal and watch to see you are passing each speed connection. 3 res 4th , 2 res3rd, 1 res 2nd , 0 res =battery pack 1st. Adjust where necessary.

Riderrob88 02-17-2016 10:49 PM

Thanks for the diagram and info. I pulled the swiper board assembly out and noticed the wiper wire was burned. Also noticed the last two contacts were burned