Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club car ds charging question!! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=110307)

bzaayer22 09-04-2015 04:15 PM

Club car ds charging question!!

Hey all!

I have a 1999 regen 2 recently converted to an IQ. I am having an issue with the charger not turning off. It's a new DPI charger. The pack shows 61+volts but the charger is still running showing 5-7 amps. My batteries start boiling and obviously stinking. All levels are fine and each battery ranges from 10-11 volts. The batteries are t875s and less than 6 months old. Obc is less than a month.

Should I let it charge even longer? I was under the impression the charger should shut off around 53 volts.

Suggestions???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

scottyb 09-04-2015 05:31 PM

Re: Club car ds charging question!!

The cut off is 58-63v. We need more info
What make battery?
What capacity battery?
And what age battery

greg-g 09-04-2015 07:23 PM

Obc and dpi that's sad

smokey tennis shoe 09-06-2015 08:41 PM

If they are 12 volt batteries, they are bad. If they are 8 volt, you are cooking the crap out of them. How old are the batteries, and what voltage are they?

scottyb 09-06-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe (Post 1196371)
If they are 12 volt batteries, they are bad. If they are 8 volt, you are cooking the crap out of them. How old are the batteries, and what voltage are they?

How do you figure this?

RPatten 09-07-2015 03:45 AM

If you have a DPI, do you need the obc?

teecro 09-07-2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatten (Post 1196433)
If you have a DPI, do you need the obc?

Depends.... There is a DPI charger that was designed to work with the OBC but with this it looses the float feature and is really no different than the stock Power Drive charger.

teecro 09-07-2015 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzaayer22 (Post 1195721)
Hey all!

I have a 1999 regen 2 recently converted to an IQ. I am having an issue with the charger not turning off. It's a new DPI charger. The pack shows 61+volts but the charger is still running showing 5-7 amps. My batteries start boiling and obviously stinking. All levels are fine and each battery ranges from 10-11 volts. The batteries are t875s and less than 6 months old. Obc is less than a month.

Should I let it charge even longer? I was under the impression the charger should shut off around 53 volts.

How long have you had this new DPI charger? And what do you consider stinking and boiling? Is the water level in the batteries actually going down, is there fluid building up on the top of the batteries under the vents? If the levels are fine then the batteries are not boiling. Putting your hand on the battery case should reveal a warm but not hot case. I have a DPI charger and if brings my batteries all the way up to 62/63 volts before switching to float charger and holding my my charge at 53 volts. So a voltage reading taken when still in the equalize mode may in deed read 10 to 11 volts per battery.

wthompson912 09-07-2015 08:21 AM

Which DPI charger do you have (model #)? i had a similar issue where the charger wouldn't turn off. Turned out to be the DPI had the control board to be used without OBC but i didn't realize that i needed to add a negative wire from the charger port to the battery pack negative. Not saying this is your issue but we need to know charger model.

smokey tennis shoe 09-07-2015 10:29 AM

Thanks Scotty for exposing me!:oops:
I totally misread his post. Now i see he has 8 volt batteries. And if the batteries are new, maybe all is well, and he just didn't wait long enough.

I have installed new batteries and sometimes they don't smell and charge in 4 hours, and other times, they charge for hours and hours and do smell rotten eggs. But i learned to give them time and monitor for a couple charges, alot of times the smell stops and all is good.

Sorry again:cry::oops::oops: