Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Clone Engine Swaps (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   distance between drive clutch and motor (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=37496)

fastride 08-20-2010 09:03 PM

distance between drive clutch and motor

I have just received my drive and driven clutch from Carts Plus and am getting ready to install both of them in my 95CC. I am putting the drive clutch on a 16 hp honda clone engine
( Duramax). I am going to have to cut and retap the crankshaft and am needing to know how far does it need to be from the drive clutch to the engine block. I dont want to cut to much off. Also, i dont need the pulley that is on the clutch, can i just take it off?
Thanks

Brad 08-21-2010 11:31 AM

Re: distance between drive clutch and motor

If you bought a stock clutch for a club car you'll need the taped adapter they sell.It comes with instructions on cut lengths.

fastride 08-21-2010 08:44 PM

I did also buy the adapter and it doesnt say how close it needs to be.

Brad 08-22-2010 04:46 AM

I used a Honda gx390 and the crank has a shoulder on it,I did not use the spacer that came with the adapter kit so i pushed the collet up against the shoulder and cut the crank leaving the 1/8 ". So I guess Im saying I put it as close as possible but left the pulley on to retain my starter/gen.Tom @ CPP said you basically can put it where you want it but the closer the better.

fastride 08-22-2010 06:53 AM

Thanks Brad. That is what i needed to here. I am going to do the same thing.
Thanks again.

sho305 08-23-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 446059)
I used a Honda gx390 and the crank has a shoulder on it,I did not use the spacer that came with the adapter kit so i pushed the collet up against the shoulder and cut the crank leaving the 1/8 ". So I guess Im saying I put it as close as possible but left the pulley on to retain my starter/gen.Tom @ CPP said you basically can put it where you want it but the closer the better.

I did the exact same thing, but that is near 2" of the crank you chop off or such. It was a lot of drilling. It is still not as close as the stock yamaha was. Note its better for your crank bearings to have it closer. I could not have fit the engine if not anyway; the carb is very close to the rear shock in the G9 yamaha there is little room for an airbox or even a 90. I have about 1/4" clearance there. I used the stock clutch and generator. So far I have no doubt it has twice the power, maybe 3X the torque.

fastride 08-24-2010 11:37 AM

I just cut the crank shaft and drilled and tapped the hole. I left about 1/8" from the shoulder on the crank and it looks like it is going to be fine. I also did leave the starter/gen. pulley on, just in case i decide to use it for a alternator or something. I am going out to the shop now and fab a mount for the motor to sit on. I am trying to figure out how to line up both clutches right now. If anybody knows where the centerline is or where you are suppose to put the drive clutch so that they both line up, please let me know?
Thanks

sho305 08-24-2010 12:37 PM

I posted it here someplace maybe in my clone thread in yamaha gas. I used a piece of wood between and a straight edge to align the clutches. There were two measurements I think 2.5" between and 2" offset but that might not be correct (and was off a stock G9 yamaha). The offset is between the two fixed sheaves so the outer secondary and inner primary. In fact it was to the edge of the pulley on mine so yours will be different, yami makes the pulley part of the sheave. If using the rubber mounts you might put a hair of preload (twist) in the motor as it will torque to it. I didn't put much as G9 has a cable to hold it back. Mine ended up ~1" lower in front to level the engine but that depends on your lift and what cart you have. I actually ended up with the front a little lower, figured I didn't like the idea of the cylinder and carb so low when climbing hills. I ended up with the engine higher to clear the trans, it didn't matter as its lifted, but some bought mounts move the engine forward....of course you have to buy a longer belt then.

Brad 08-24-2010 04:46 PM

I made my mount out of 1 1/2 angle and some plate.Mounted it on the original mount where i could use the existing slotted holes for fore and aft adjustmet and slotted the top mount holes for side to side.Just kinda eyeballed the alignment by understanding which clutch moved which way then layed a straightedge off the driven to the drive and tightened everything up and it works great.Maybe I just got lucky.Just go for it,us southern boys usually can figure it out...

sho305 08-24-2010 08:02 PM

I marked the motor holes and drilled it, bolted it on, no adjustment lol. I can tighten the cable on the factory part of the mount to tighten it or loosen. I posted photos in my 'clone specs' thread.