Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   voltage check on the fly (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=72730)

angriffnole 11-10-2012 10:18 AM

voltage check on the fly

Installed 4 new Trojans in my 08 CC. During break in period, can I hook a digital volt meter with Gator connectors and put the item on my passenger seat and check voltage until it gets down to 49.7? Or do I need to stop periodically and lift the seat and check when the cart is not moving? Or can I hook voltmeter up and after a mile or so just come to a complete stop and let the voltmeter give me a reading and use that? I am following the 12 step break in process. Thanks,

Speedchaser 11-10-2012 12:00 PM

Re: voltage check on the fly

I have heard people hooking up a volt meter that way and using it as a battery meter

simple man 11-10-2012 01:02 PM

You can absolutely do that! As a matter of fact, that is your most dependable diagnostic tool! :thumbup:

angriffnole 11-10-2012 01:22 PM

simple man, when is the best time to read for accuracy? should I come to compete stop and read it then?

TerryH 11-10-2012 02:07 PM

You should install one of scottyb's meters and be done with it.

TerryH 11-10-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angriffnole (Post 801342)
simple man, when is the best time to read for accuracy? should I come to compete stop and read it then?

You will need to let them settle for a few minutes to get an accurate reading. They will recover voltage for a bit once you stop.

angriffnole 11-10-2012 03:12 PM

Thanks, and yes, scottys is my next purchase.

angriffnole 11-10-2012 03:46 PM

Terry, how long will it take for them to recover

TerryH 11-10-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angriffnole (Post 801380)
Terry, how long will it take for them to recover

That all depends on how you hae been running the cart and for how long. I'd say that the voltage should be pretty much leveled out in 3-5 minutes but I have seen mine climb slightly for quite a bit longer.

scottyb 11-10-2012 04:00 PM

The Break in process is not an Exacting science requiring 1/10 of a volt or even 1/2 of a volt accuracy :lol: The numbers are given to suggest that 15 or 25 % is a good point to recharge. Having said that, you can read the batteries after you stop , wait 15 seconds if you want a settled reading, after that you are just gaining back surface charge ... hope this helps.