Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   86 Gas EZGO kinda loud and looking for a top. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=63906)

JeepinJeff 05-06-2012 06:07 PM

86 Gas EZGO kinda loud and looking for a top.

From what I've been reading this evening, the 2 strokes are kind of loud by nature. I'm not sure what to compare mine too but there is a guy in camp that has a John Deer Gator. It's somewhat similar to his for noise. I only paid $ 500 for the cart and it's really just basic transportation to and from the beach. Just hate I have the loudest cart in the campground. Will replacing my exhaust gaskets do anything but probaly break the bolts off as old and corroded as they are? Anyting else to quiet her down a bit without breaking the bank?

Also my cart doesn't have a top. Besides ebay, is there a spot where I might find one? I would need the top and the supports.

Heliarc 05-08-2012 08:08 AM

Re: 86 Gas EZGO kinda loud and looking for a top.

Have you taken a good look at the entire exhaust system?You might have a hole in your muffler or pipe that could be repaired easily by someone with a welder.

I can't tell you what your exhaust gaskets are like, but if they're original they probably need replaced.One thing to try is a box end 6 point wrench on the nuts holding the pipe on.Put the wrench on and gently tap them.I use this often for old corroded brake bleeders and it works 9 out of 10 times.A 6 point box end will give you a better grip on the nuts, especially corroded ones.Don't get impatient and don't be afraid to use some good penetrating oil.I prefer PB blaster myself.If that won't get it, the next step is heat.Get the engine good and clean and break out your propane torch.Heat the nut and this will expand it making it much easier to get it loose from the stud.Pretty much the same process as before.heat the nut, put on your wrench, and tap tap tap.You're of course cleaning the engine so you don't end up burning your cart from some grease catching on fire.Also keep the hose ready.If you know someone with an acetylene torch and they're VERY good with it, it's almost a sure thing that they'll come off with that.Just be careful and think twice whenever you're going to heat something up.There are plenty of wires and other things you don't want to burn.In many cases you can shield them from a flame with a thick mass of soaking wet rags.

As far as a roof goes, I plan on making my own.Once I do it, I plan to post pics, dimensions , and a materials list.

Good luck and again, be careful.

Night 05-09-2012 07:08 AM

Nut splitter work very well.

Mark

Heliarc 05-10-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night (Post 724227)
Nut splitter work very well.

Mark

Dang, you guys are really on the ball.I forgot all about nut splitters.They're the great equalizer.

Night 05-10-2012 01:26 PM

;)

mark

pathfinder 06-07-2012 02:03 PM

I made a top for my 86 marathon from an old small truck camper shell. One of the old metal ones, I cut the top portion off around the seam above the windows and removed the front and back completly. It bolted directly to the windshield frame and and I used some long bolts and spacers to mount to the original roof frame I had. I don't look bad and it covers from the front of the windshield to the rear of the cart. I'll try to post some pictures in a new thread tonight.

DaPeach 06-07-2012 03:01 PM

where are you located?