Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   another charging problem, but different i think. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=60441)

justmizell 02-20-2012 10:39 PM

another charging problem, but different i think.

been searching with no luck. having problems with charging my 48v 2005 CC DS IQ. i have a powerdrive 2 charger. hoped the "another charging problem" thread would help but no luck.

charger doesnt click when plugged in, doesnt do anything. cart is low, around 47ish volts.. i tried reset OBC, no change (didnt get the 30 second reverse beep, but i'm reading thats kinda common). both the soldered fuses in charger and behind receptacle are fine, and small fuse in yellow holder.

if it helps.. i have continuity from charger to each male prong on plug and from female socket holes.. one to positive battery, one to other end of solder fuse on black wire, and the one to yellow fuse holder. i read in another topic about trying a jumper from the receptacle side of the yellow fuse holder to the #6 negative and try charging... still nothing.

i'm trying to track down another charger to try out, in the meantime.. any suggestions would be awesome. thanks, justin.

shadowman 02-21-2012 10:18 AM

Re: another charging problem, but different i think.

the grey wire with the fuse...take it apart and run a jumper from the peice thats attached to charge receptical to neg terminal of last battery............thats the battery with cable thur OBC...........plug charger in see what it does........if it comes on replace OBC...........................8)

justmizell 02-21-2012 10:32 AM

thanks shadowman, glad u posted.. however if u read the bottom of my 3rd paragraph I did try that and charger did the same.. no click, no nothing. I did check incoming voltage to charger just in case and am getting 115v. thanks again.

Stevegrmich 02-21-2012 11:10 AM

I assume you checked the AC circuit breaker on the charger? . . . and the 2 solder fuses were checked with a DVM for continuity?

There are several things that cause your problem, including: (from charger manual)

1. Batteries disconnected (which I assume everything is hooked up)
2. Battery voltage too low (which is not situation . . your batteries are over 36v)
3. Poor connection between DC plug/receptacle (spray a little WD40 there)
4. Onboard computer malfunction.
5. DC plug and cord (you say you tested it)
6. Gray sense lead fuse blown (you said it is ok)
7. Receptacle's fuse link blown (you said it is ok)
8. Wire connections loose/corroded

Best to try a known functional charger on your cart to remove either your cart or your charger out of the equation.

shadowman 02-21-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justmizell (Post 691118)
thanks shadowman, glad u posted.. however if u read the bottom of my 3rd paragraph I did try that and charger did the same.. no click, no nothing. I did check incoming voltage to charger just in case and am getting 115v. thanks again.

sorry i completey missed that, ok lets start from beginning......as steve pointed out you do have AC power to charger right? is this something that just started? your sure you have the required 38 volts for charger to come on? double check that, you can also try opening up your charger and bypassing the low voltage sensor ( relay ) its in the stickies how to.....if charger works ( OBC ) and yes if you can get a good working charger to try that will save time and testing.................was anything done to cart? anything at all pryor to this?............................................. .8)

justmizell 02-21-2012 11:58 AM

thanks guys. I do have AC power going through the circuit breaker (I assume this is the "reset" button). definitely have 47v across the pack. plug prongs and receptacle was lubed. all connections have been cleaned and tightened.

only upgrade has been #4 wires and lift with tires and rims... this was probably a year ago. all has worked fine. left on charger while out of town and came home to this. younger cousin said he rode it and it acted funny so he put it back (doesn't know how to read datel voltage meter so I assume it was low and hadn't been charging). it was around 45 but I managed to bring it up to 47ish with a 24v army truck. I'm at work now but can try to check anything I'm told when I get back to shop. also trying to track down working charger. thanks again.

shadowman 02-21-2012 12:37 PM

can you test voltage from each battery on its own?..................................8)

justmizell 02-21-2012 01:11 PM

all batteries are between 7.6 and 7.8

Stevegrmich 02-21-2012 03:15 PM

Batteries are very low . . . see here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-readings.html

mdlott 02-21-2012 03:50 PM

Soooo? Did the cousin toast the batteries? Would this cause the charger to act up? Anyway to bring them back?