Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   cable set.. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=20110)

BlackHornet 07-14-2009 11:21 PM

cable set..

would it hurt to upgrade to 2 gauge cables with everything stock instead of going with 4 gauge. the reason im asking is because i can get 2 gauge cheaper than 4. it would be all of the battery cables and the motor cables.

roady89 07-14-2009 11:25 PM

Re: cable set..

You won't gain anything except a headache using 2 guage. The hole size on 2 guage lugs is too big and results in a sloppy connection.

BlackHornet 07-14-2009 11:27 PM

ok, ill keep that in mind. so besides the hole size on the lugs....what are other advantages of running 4 gauge over 2?

dirtysouth 07-14-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHornet (Post 240423)
ok, ill keep that in mind. so besides the hole size on the lugs....what are other advantages of running 4 gauge over 2?

Notta on stock stuff.:thumbup:

GLEEMO 07-15-2009 10:37 AM

When he says the hole size , it will (may not fit through) the opening in the OBC.
Get a small piece and test first.

2 Gauge is overkill unless you are getting ready to do something extreme or you already
have a supply as you stated.
Also make sure they are flexable enough to shape.

dock98 07-15-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmorrison (Post 240634)

:thumbup:

roady89 07-15-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmorrison (Post 240634)
When he says the hole size , it will (may not fit through) the opening in the OBC.
Get a small piece and test first.

2 Gauge is overkill unless you are getting ready to do something extreme or you already
have a supply as you stated.

Actually I was reffering to the hole in a 2 guage lug being to big for a battery terminal or motor terminal. Its like putting a washer for a 3/4 inch bolt on a 1/4-20 bolt. You end up with part of the lug not even covered by the nut. You have a loose and sloppy fit which will hurt you in the long run. "IF" you can find 2 guage lugs with a 5/16 hole thats great but the point is 2 guage cable is not even remotely needed for a stock cart, even most others. Extreme electrics is a whole other deal.

blaynef13 07-15-2009 05:11 PM

I have 2ga on mine because i got the cable for free. You can get lugs with different size holes. I have had no trouble with mine except i had to wire around instead of through my OBC when i had to replace it with a new one. Seems to work fine but i am no expert, either.

BAF

BlackHornet 07-15-2009 06:10 PM

well the hole in the OBC doesnt do anything but hold the wire up....right?

scottyb 07-15-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHornet (Post 241009)
well the hole in the OBC doesnt do anything but hold the wire up....right?

THe hole in the OBC holds the wire up while the computer reads the draw, the feed, and controls the charger from the information it gets holding the wire up :thumbup: