Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   RXV motor brake-motor threads feel stripped (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=176625)

Skihard1234 06-09-2021 10:14 AM

RXV motor brake-motor threads feel stripped

I think the prior owner replaced this motor brake at some point in the past, and when they did, the bolts stripped some.

While still tight, they felt a little wonky when I was backing them out to install new brake & sure enough, before I popped brake on I tried threading bolts into housing but they’re dancing and 1 won’t rethread into housing. Top & bottom left I can make work, but bottom right seems to be a nogo.

I searched the forum but can’t seem to find anything. Apologies for the redundant post. What’s my next move?

sthreatt 06-09-2021 10:24 AM

Re: RXV motor brake-motor threads feel stripped

I don't know the depth of the hole, but have you tried a little longer bolt to reach good threads ? If all else fails, bore and re-tap to 1/4 inch national standard thread.

SBIRD! 06-09-2021 10:46 AM

Those bolts only get 13 INCH pounds of torque I believe. Might be a bad idea but if it was mine I'd try some tread tape before pulling the heavy motor to do it right by taping or heliacoils.
But I'm a duct tape and bungie strap fix guy.

sthreatt 06-09-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBIRD! (Post 1831182)
Those bolts only get 13 INCH pounds of torque I believe. Might be a bad idea but if it was mine I'd try some tread tape before pulling the heavy motor to do it right by taping or heliacoils.
But I'm a duct tape and bungie strap fix guy.

Is the motor case that they thread in to aluminum ? I think the three bolts ( metric ) are just a tad bit smaller than 1/4 inch standard, and you "might" could get by with a self tapping 1/4" standard bolt. Worth taking a look at.

kgsc 06-09-2021 11:56 AM

They are M6-1.00X60MM

sthreatt 06-09-2021 12:07 PM

You can identify an M6 screw by measuring the diameter with a ruler. It'll be 6 mm, or slightly more than 7/32 inches (0.228″). Only 1/32" smaller than a standard 1/4 inch bolt. Length, I don't know. Doesn't seem like 1 inch would do it. The brake is thicker than that, isn't it ?

kgsc 06-09-2021 12:36 PM

60mm long..

cbdeese61 06-09-2021 12:36 PM

the 1 is the thread pitch...the length is 60mm or about 2-3/8"

sthreatt 06-09-2021 02:55 PM

I'd be curious to know, and I have no idea, what is the depth of the threaded hole and is it possible that there may be enough threads to accommodate a 2 5/8 bolt ?

rngilliland 06-09-2021 03:42 PM

I would run a metric tap into the hole to clean up the threads before I did anything else. A slightly larger bolt may not make any difference but the bolts go through the pressure plate on the brake. The plate has to move freely for the brake to release.

When you attach the brake make sure it is plugged in and released when you put the bolts in. That makes it much easier to put them in and it has to be released when you tighten the bolts. Torque spec is 53 to 71 in/lbs in the manual I have. I only use about 30 inch/lbs.