Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   My G8 project (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188992)

augiedoggy 03-09-2023 05:08 PM

My G8 project

5 Attachment(s)
So last September I picked this G8 up for $750.
It did not run. Batteries were dead but the owner said he tried batteries and it still didn't work. After I vesting in a solenoid and putting some half dead batteries I had laying g around I got it running.
I decided I wanted a roof and paint. So I built a solar panel roof which charges the cart with 8 amps in the sun. I also added a bunch of bling like a rear seat which was tricky because at some point someone swapped the body with a G14.
I added an overhead console to house my light switches and the battery touchscreen interface for my DIY 90ah lifepo4 48v battery pack. I tried a number of used controlle
Rs before settling on a 500a curtis clone I programmed to my liking using a serial adapter and directions from a you tube video.
There's lots of room under the seat now for the beer cooler since this will be a campground cart. I took it for a spin today and made adjustments to the throttle response to my liking.
I still need to install the rear speakers but so far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm afraid to do all the math but I think I have close to 3 grand in it now.
Anyway here's some pics. The top speed is 20mph on the new speedometer. It was 14 with the 36v setup and stock wheels.

augiedoggy 03-09-2023 05:10 PM

Re: My G8 project

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the sideways pictures.. they are the correct orientation on my phone but for some reason this forum doesn't keep them that way when uploading.

scottyb 03-09-2023 05:16 PM

If you crop and save the pics (even slightly) they stay put...IDK why.
Looking good. Nice Vette too :thumbup:

augiedoggy 03-09-2023 05:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of the overhead console and battery interface the battery has completed a full cycle yet so the usage and percentages are off.

augiedoggy 03-09-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1931187)
If you crop and save the pics (even slightly) they stay put...IDK why.
Looking good. Nice Vette too :thumbup:

Thanks for the info and compliments.. the vette has also been a project for me. I bought it trashed for $2700 about 10 years ago.

augiedoggy 03-09-2023 05:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Forgot the pics from when I bought it.
I am still on the fence about the tires.. I went with 20" tires for battery mileage but 22's would have looked better.

Jgoff72 03-26-2023 01:02 PM

How’s that DIY lithium pack doing? Getting ready to order the same cells from AliExpress.

augiedoggy 03-26-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgoff72 (Post 1933243)
How’s that DIY lithium pack doing? Getting ready to order the same cells from AliExpress.

Well as pictured above its done and in the cart Ive done some driving around and everything works great so far but Until the campground opens I cant really do any extensive range testing to see how long the battery actually lasts.

I did do some charge testing the other day and it does charge off the solar roof with over 5 amps.

Bbbbrass 04-06-2023 08:31 AM

Hey Augie, what model solar panel is that?

augiedoggy 04-06-2023 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbbbrass (Post 1934537)
Hey Augie, what model solar panel is that?

Solaria 355w I believe