Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Scottyb XCT 400 Controller (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=127156)

chrisk 02-21-2017 10:47 AM

Scottyb XCT 400 Controller

Hey guys I just received my new controller from Scottyb. The controller and solenoid are top notch! Very easy to install. I'm having a small issue that maybe you experts can help me with. The cart goes forward and back with no issues but the speed seems slow.....probably slower than the stock 275amp unit. Battery's are at full charge but i still have the OEM battery cables..... Could this be the issue. I'm planning on upgrading the wires ASAP but was just curious if this could cause the issue at hand??:help:

BobBoyce 02-21-2017 11:14 AM

Re: Scottyb XCT 400 Controller

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 1354898)
Hey guys I just received my new controller from Scottyb. The controller and solenoid are top notch! Very easy to install. I'm having a small issue that maybe you experts can help me with. The cart goes forward and back with no issues but the speed seems slow.....probably slower than the stock 275amp unit. Battery's are at full charge but i still have the OEM battery cables..... Could this be the issue. I'm planning on upgrading the wires ASAP but was just curious if this could cause the issue at hand??:help:

It's probably expecting the speed sensor signal.

chrisk 02-21-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBoyce (Post 1354901)
It's probably expecting the speed sensor signal.

i'm not following?? Please elaborate.

scottyb 02-21-2017 11:59 AM

We need to know which drive system you are asking about.
Speed sensor or reduced reverse speed option may what we need to address.

chrisk 02-21-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1354912)
We need to know which drive system you are asking about.
Speed sensor or reduced reverse speed option may what we need to address.

Its a 2001 PDS TXT 36V. Does this help any?

davewil@mc.net 02-21-2017 02:13 PM

The battery wires will not make you go slower with a new controller. I doubt that it is the speed sensor, do you have it connected? If you have it connected to the controller, you might try disconnecting it. I am pretty sure (not certain) it is not needed except to limit the maximum RPM's for the motor.

scottyb 02-21-2017 02:37 PM

Is the controller programmed with the correct map for the motor?

chrisk 02-21-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1354943)
Is the controller programmed with the correct map for the motor?

I figured it out.... I had the speed sensor wire plugged into the c4 block instead of the c5 block. Switched it around and the thing will flat out move now. Thanks again Scottb. I really appreciate the help and the product.

scottyb 02-21-2017 03:50 PM

Oh yeah, I had that motor in PDS for awhile - I think JB is still running it.
You do have the correct RECENT map from D&D - right?

JohnnieB 02-21-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davewil@mc.net (Post 1354936)
The battery wires will not make you go slower with a new controller. I doubt that it is the speed sensor, do you have it connected? If you have it connected to the controller, you might try disconnecting it. I am pretty sure (not certain) it is not needed except to limit the maximum RPM's for the motor.

Field weakening in a XCT controller is influenced by Motor RPM (Speed sensor input) as well as other factors and without a speed sensor connected, the motor won't spin as fast.

Without a speed sensor connected, my D7D ES-76-51 maxes out at 5799 RPM with a 42V pack and the EZPDS field map. (2.5A minimum field amps.)
With the speed sensor connected and EZPDS map at 42V, it maxes out at 6540 RPM. (1.9A Minimum Field Amps)
With the motor specific map installed, (ES76-51 Field map), it maxed out at 6756 RPM with a 80% SoC battery pack and it goes above 6900 RPM when fresh off float charge. (1.0A Minimum Field amps.)

Since then, I've RPM limited it to 6500 RPM (Max RPM recommended by Eric at D&D), which is 26.5 MPH on my 17" tall tires.

When I was running a DCX500 with same motor, I got about 28.5 MPH on level ground, which is roughly 7000 RPM on my tires.

Since you are running a 48V battery pack, you have the capability of over-revving your motor unless you have tall tires on it, which limit max rpm due to the increased torque requirement.