Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Clutch puller too short? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=155039)

Wayne Jacobsen 07-13-2019 06:16 PM

Clutch puller too short?

I’m trying to remove an after market clutch from a g22. I have a clutch puller, purchased from a reputable seller.

It threads in just fine, but bottoms out before the clutch moves on the shaft.

Are there different lengths of clutch puller?

Maybe I’m doing something wrong? I removed the center bolt from the shaft, then threaded in the clutch puller. It turns all the way to the end of the threads by finger pressure alone. so It doesn’t exert any outward pressure on the clutch.

Thanks very much.

slonomo 07-13-2019 08:20 PM

Re: Clutch puller too short?

If it's too short you can use an old trick. You could find a small bolt that's smaller than the puller, maybe 1" long?, cut the head off, put it into the hole, then insert the puller. If it's not long enough to get half the threads on, shorten the cut bolt a little more. It will push on the crank, allowing more threads to pull on the clutch.

I've also heard you can pump the crank full of grease, then insert the puller. The grease will use hydraulic force to push on the crank, supposedly. I've heard it works, but never tried it myself.

Wayne Jacobsen 07-13-2019 08:42 PM

This makes sense to me. Will give it a shot in the morning

Wayne Jacobsen 07-14-2019 09:30 AM

I did a little more research. I think the clutch currently on the cart is a comet style. It appears the regular Yamaha puller will not work for that clutch. I ordered a puller meant for a comet clutch. I’m going to wait for that before trying the sawed off bolt suggestion.

Thanks for your help

slonomo 07-14-2019 01:17 PM

That makes sense why it wouldn't work. :thumbup:

Wayne Jacobsen 07-26-2019 02:25 PM

It took me a while, but I finally got the old clutch pulled out. The comet clutch puller was too short as well. So I resorted to the cut-off bolt suggestion, and that worked. One modification: before I cut the head off the bolt, I used a bench grinder to remove all the threads. That way the cut-off bolt would not get stuck in the shaft.

The other thing I learned (I'm not an experienced mechanic) is that an air wrench makes it much easier to drive in the clutch puller (compared to a hand wrench).

Thanks again for your help.

slonomo 07-27-2019 06:33 AM

yeah the impact is the way to go. glad you got it! :thumbup:

CP241 07-27-2019 05:16 PM

Just to note for anyone in the future reading this, I would highly recommend using a grade 8 bolt if you do this. For some of the clutches that are REALLY stuck on there (it happens) a regular bolt will just mushroom/squish down inside the end of the crank and then not only is the clutch still ON there, but once you do finally manage to get it off youve got a mess to deal with so you can get the new clutch installed and still have something to thread into.

slonomo 07-28-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1639411)
Just to note for anyone in the future reading this, I would highly recommend using a grade 8 bolt if you do this. For some of the clutches that are REALLY stuck on there (it happens) a regular bolt will just mushroom/squish down inside the end of the crank and then not only is the clutch still ON there, but once you do finally manage to get it off youve got a mess to deal with so you can get the new clutch installed and still have something to thread into.

this is good advice! :thumbup: