Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   All things Lithium (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Zeva BMS settings for 72v and 2nd module ? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170140)

somfas 10-17-2020 05:23 PM

Zeva BMS settings for 72v and 2nd module ?

Hey, I have seen some setting you guys recommend for the 57Vmax systems. Just checking to see what you think about my settings. It was a 72V system with 6 12v FLA batteries. Now will have 10 Leaf modules with EVMS v3 and two modules. I don't care to charge it super high, so maxing out at 82v or less is fine with me.

Also, it is only recognizing one of the modules. Is there something I need to do to make it see them both? I told it that Module 0 had 10 cells and Module 1 had 10 cells. (Also use Module 1 and Module 2 but that made no difference). It knows there are 20 cells, but only recognizing 38v and one module.

Thanks

Sergio 10-17-2020 07:47 PM

Re: Zeva BMS settings for 72v and 2nd module ?

When You say You also used module ID 1 and 2, did You also change the ID in the modules themselves?

Did You use a terminator on the end of the CAN bus or just a long string with the EVMS monitor at the end?

PingEye3 10-17-2020 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sergio, I sent Mark aluminum pack plates and this wiring diagram to put together his 84V pack for an old EZGO TXT rebuild. Pick it apart if it needs it. He is using a TC charger and no contactor for LV protection.

Sergio 10-18-2020 08:50 AM

Diagram looks nice as usual, the only suggestion is to put orientation notes on the Hall current sensor, the cable from pack positive entering the back (black) side and out of the front (blue) side towards the Anderson connector.

It seems like a configuration issue, the dialed module ID not matching the configuration settings or perhaps set to "parallel" strings.

I think You should also reconsider the LV safety system, that is a very expensive BMS setup not to protect the lithium cells during a low voltage condition when all that is needed is less than $5 for a 12v relay.

PingEye3 10-18-2020 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1771467)
Diagram looks nice as usual, the only suggestion is to put orientation notes on the Hall current sensor, the cable from pack positive entering the back (black) side and out of the front (blue) side towards the Anderson connector. I didn't pay much attention to this because the current reading +/- is selectable in the programming. However I do see 'The Hall Sensor should be oriented such that discharge current flows from the back (black) side to the front (blue) side.' I'll add the note on the drawing.
I went back and looked at pics of the two ZEVA packs I built and I got both sensors installed correctly, must have seen it before :shock:

It seems like a configuration issue, the dialed module ID not matching the configuration settings or perhaps set to "parallel" strings. 100% agree that there is a probably a programming issue

I think You should also reconsider the LV safety system, that is a very expensive BMS setup not to protect the lithium cells during a low voltage condition when all that is needed is less than $5 for a 12v relay.I agree, but this system EVMS3 does not have LV and HV contacts to control relays. I assume you could possibly use a Main Contactor (shown on ZEVA wiring drawings but not sure how it is controlled) after the Anderson connector to disconnect the entire pack, but even with it activated, the two modules and BMS will remain powered and eventually drain the pack. Per ZEVA, deep sleep mode, has a much lower quiescent power consumption when the system is idle, about 3mA.

See answers above. What are your thoughts on this system for the LV relay control? Attaching a pdf of the EVMS3 manual for reference.

Link to the EVMS3 system description with different info than the EVMS3 manual.
https://www.zeva.com.au/index.php?product=131

Sergio 10-18-2020 11:28 AM

That EVMS3 is a nice BMS designed for cars and I would take advantage of a couple of its internal features.

I would not use big contactors for LV, don't like them for any setup.

If the cart in question can handle the key switch power being shutdown in case of a cell LV condition, the simplest way to use the existing configuration is to power the existing "Key Switch" relay from the BMS "Main Contactor" 12v output.

That output comes ON when the BMS "Key In" gets 12v and goes OFF when an error condition exists or the BMS goes to sleep.

You can also add an additional 12v relay (powered by the "Main Contactor" signal) that acts as an ON/OFF switch for any appropriate signal to disable the Controller in case of any cell LV condition.

I would also get a couple of 12v LED indicator lights and program the MPO1 and MPO2 outputs.

The EVMS3 has an SOC warning set that can be used to indicate the SOC is getting low, like a "reserve" low-gas in a regular cart.

Set the "SoC Warning" setting to 20% or 30%.

Program MPO1 for "Low SoC Signal" and connect it to the positive of a Yellow LED indicator.

Program the MPO2 as "Overtemp Signal" and connect it to the positive of a Red LED indicator light.

PingEye3 10-18-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1771560)
That EVMS3 is a nice BMS designed for cars and I would take advantage of a couple of its internal features.

I would not use big contactors for LV, don't like them for any setup.

If the cart in question can handle the key switch power being shutdown in case of a cell LV condition, the simplest way to use the existing configuration is to power the existing "Key Switch" relay from the BMS "Main Contactor" 12v output.

That output comes ON when the BMS "Key In" gets 12v and goes OFF when an error condition exists or the BMS goes to sleep.

You can also add an additional 12v relay (powered by the "Main Contactor" signal) that acts as an ON/OFF switch for any appropriate signal to disable the Controller in case of any cell LV condition.

I would also get a couple of 12v LED indicator lights and program the MPO1 and MPO2 outputs.

The EVMS3 has an SOC warning set that can be used to indicate the SOC is getting low, like a "reserve" low-gas in a regular cart.

Set the "SoC Warning" setting to 20% or 30%.

Program MPO1 for "Low SoC Signal" and connect it to the positive of a Yellow LED indicator.

Program the MPO2 as "Overtemp Signal" and connect it to the positive of a Red LED indicator light.

Great suggestions and comments as usual!!

somfas 10-18-2020 06:32 PM

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I am not sure about "parralel" settings so I will look into it. The modules are 0 and 1 and they are both indicated in the BMS to have 10 cells each. The BMS shows 0v for all of the cells in one of the modules, and shows about 3.8 for all of the other cells in the other module. DVM shows proper voltage at the modules, checked individually.

Not sure if this is an issue, but, I may have smoked the resistor on the charger plug. I will attempt to post a pic of it next. I had the CANH and the CANL of the charger plug wired up to the CAN+ and CAN- up at the Hall Sensor. So, in the CANBUS line, I erroneously had + and - running to the resistor. I was getting 120ohms when I checked resistance.

Also, when the BMS has 12v running to it, but no 12v going to the "key in" lug, I can program the BMS on the monitor. If I attach the Key in wire to the 12v source, I get an error message and beeping on the monitor that will not allow me to do anything.

A little confused, will keep digging, but do appreciate your input as well.

Thanks

somfas 10-18-2020 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of the back of the plug and the resistor that may have been smoked

PingEye3 10-19-2020 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by somfas (Post 1771709)
Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I am not sure about "parralel" settings so I will look into it. The modules are 0 and 1 and they are both indicated in the BMS to have 10 cells each. The EVMS normally uses the sum of cell voltages to calculate the overall battery voltage. In installations with multiple strings of cells and BMS modules in parallel, this setting can be used to correct the voltage calculation. Is there any chance that you chose 2 on the Parallel Strings page(because you have two modules) of the monitor during programming? This, IMHO, should be 1The BMS shows 0v for all of the cells in one of the modules, and shows about 3.8 for all of the other cells in the other module. DVM shows proper voltage at the modules, checked individually.

Not sure if this is an issue, but, I may have smoked the resistor on the charger plug. I will attempt to post a pic of it next. I had the CANH and the CANL of the charger plug wired up to the CAN+ and CAN- up at the Hall Sensor. So, in the CANBUS line, I erroneously had + and - running to the resistor. I was getting 120ohms when I checked resistance. Per manual Pg 3 right side, 120ohm is correct

Also, when the BMS has 12v running to it, but no 12v going to the "key in" lug, I can program the BMS on the monitor. If I attach the Key in wire to the 12v source, I get an error message and beeping on the monitor that will not allow me to do anything. Setup mode can only be entered from Idle state, i.e when the vehicle is not charging or being driven, (KS on).

A little confused, will keep digging, but do appreciate your input as well.

Thanks

If you haven't already, I suggest that you print this manual and go thru it step by step for a better understanding of the EVMS complete operation.