Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Another Club Car Ds charging question. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=185975)

sand dune coon 08-05-2022 12:09 PM

Another Club Car Ds charging question.

I search and searched but couldn't come up with anything, so here goes,,,,,

I just acquired 1999 golf cart. cart has been recently refurbished, very clean cart that came from a knowledgeable owner.

I bought new batteries but didn't check pack voltage before my initial charge. after the first charge which seemed quick did and i got 51.1 total pack voltage and all individual batteries were 8.51 or 8.52.

no matter how many times i put this cart on the charger it turns off so i cant get it above 51.6 = 80%.

when i pug in the charger there is a click then a pause then it starts charging at 15 amps but quickly goes down to 10 amps then 5 amps and turns off. that whole process take probably 20 - 30 minute at this point. i did put my meter on the pack when is was charging at 10 amps and pack voltage was 60 volts.

The charger I'm using is the club car power drive, pretty sure its the first generation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Goober11 08-06-2022 07:33 AM

Re: Another Club Car Ds charging question.

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at the chart I have for a 48 volt pack 50.9 is 100%

rowlands57 08-06-2022 08:02 AM

I am far from an expert but have been following these forums for a while now. That problem sounds like the OBC is not commanding the charger properly otherwise the charge cycle should be longer for sure.

Even with that charger you can try to bypass the obc and use that charger manually from what I understand. You will need to monitor the charge as it won't turn off on it's own.

If that does work then you can decide whether to get another obc or a new charger. Again, most of the folks here choose to replace the charger with a smart charger when faced with this choice.

meimk 08-06-2022 08:24 AM

Sounds like everything is working as it should. What pack voltage are you trying to achieve? You're already above 100% - IF it's a 48 volt lead acid pack. The charger is shitting off because the pack is full. The PowerDrive / OBC combination shuts off based on reaching a preset voltage.

sand dune coon 08-06-2022 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm feeling pretty dumb right now, maybe i have wet brain??

I usually use the chart Goober posted and i wish i had, but dumb meet typed 48v SOC into google and looked at the first one that appeared. Wonder what this one is for?

meimk 08-06-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sand dune coon (Post 1902636)
I'm feeling pretty dumb right now, maybe i have wet brain??

I usually use the chart Goober posted and i wish i had, but dumb meet typed 48v SOC into google and looked at the first one that appeared. Wonder what this one is for?

Maybe for some lithium pack sold as a nominal 48 volt replacement?

sand dune coon 08-06-2022 03:22 PM

Thanks for the responses fellas,, you definitely helped me out! :thumbup:

Fairtax4me 08-06-2022 04:13 PM

Make sure the negative cable from the battery pack goes through the hole in the OBC.
Full pack voltage for a FLA pack should be 50.9 or a little more about 12 hours after the charger turns off.

The pic above is for a lithium pack. 13S = # of cells in series, which is probably for a home-built Volt or Leaf pack.