Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mode Lock 3 not working (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=146343)

PuttPutt 09-22-2018 03:33 PM

Mode Lock 3 not working

3 Attachment(s)
Hello, The cart in question is a 2004 Club Car Precedent (4 12v bats)
just installed xct 500 amp controller and an Admiral A4 motor.
Everything is working as it should, except the Mode Lock 3 switch.
My RPM is limited to around 2500 in all three settings. So it looks like the controller is in the Normal default mode. I have made no changes to the controller settings from the way it came. Checked the settings and they look good to me. Program select is in Dual switch the three user settings all programed. The only thing I have seen that seems odd is on the toolkit monitor screen the user 3 input stays checked even when user 1 or user 2 is selected. Is that how it should be or could this be causing the controller to stay in default mode? Any ideas?

scottyb 09-22-2018 04:37 PM

Re: Mode Lock 3 not working

Make sure the ML3 is plugged in correctly, not reversed.
If the plug is positioned correctly & fully inserted the ML3 may be defective.
Return it to the shipping address is on the website.

Meanwhile make just these setting changes to use the cart.

Max armature amps to 400
Max reverse 50%
Speed limit 6000
Turbo on
Turf or Street mode.

PuttPutt 09-22-2018 09:17 PM

Thanks Scotty, checked the plug and it is correct, red wire is #1 white is #2 black is #3, plugged it back in clip is secure. Seemed to be working but when I turned the key to user 2 (all the way left) No change. My Grand kids came over this afternoon We tried to get a few log files but I did something wrong and only capture the first one of three. Cart is on the charger and I will get some log files in the morning ....I hope. I'll email them to you.

Should these setting be in all three users or just the normal one?

Max armature amps to 400
Max reverse 50%
Speed limit 6000
Turbo on
Turf or Street mode.

scottyb 09-22-2018 11:09 PM

Just normal, leave everything else alone.

Sergio 09-23-2018 07:49 AM

The "User 3" input is the charger interlock state, it is ON because the charger is not connected and the OBC is providing 48v to the interlock pin.

When You plug the charger to the cart, "User 3" will go OFF and the "Charger Plugged In" will go "True".

It sounds to me like your speed sensor is not working and all 3 settings are giving You "Limp Mode".

PuttPutt 09-23-2018 09:15 AM

Changed the setting 400amp 6000 speed limit and still not going over 2300-2500rpm.

speed sensor passes the roll away test. I will check the speed sensor using the method in one of Your (Sergio's) responses in old posts "Bad sensor or something else" when doing this test should I ground to the black wire or to the battery pack?

To test your sensor harness:

Disconnect the 3-pin plug from the speed sensor, with the Tow/Run switch on "Run", You should get 15v between the black and Red wires at the 3-pin connector.

You should also get 5v between black and green wires.

To test the sensor:

If the tests above are correct, You can test the output of the sensor "Green" wire by lifting one wheel and turning it by hand.

With the 3-pin plug connected and a wire piercing probe on the Green wire, the voltage will go from 0 to 5v - 24 times on a full wheel revolution.

Sergio 09-23-2018 09:42 AM

I just noticed you have an Admiral A4 motor, make sure the "Speed Sensor" setting is 4 and not 8 poles.

Edit:
How are you measuring RPM?

PuttPutt 09-23-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1543295)
I just noticed you have an Admiral A4 motor, make sure the "Speed Sensor" setting is 4 and not 8 poles.

Edit:
How are you measuring RPM?

Using a laptop with toolkit on the monitor screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuttPutt 09-23-2018 12:49 PM

Thanks Sergio :thumbup: switched from 8 pole to 4 pole. ML3 is working properly. Normal 2100 rpm @ 9-10MPH, #2 3400 rpm @ 18-20mph
#3 5,600 rpm @22 bumping 23mph. Going down hill hits 6000rpm.

In normal when it hits the speed limit the cart shudders. Is there an adjust in settings to smooth it out?

PuttPutt 09-23-2018 07:33 PM

I adjusted the regen braking down and the shudder has smoothed out.
Thanks for the help.