Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Upgrade motor or change gear ratio? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=136084)

Scott1088 10-18-2017 11:13 AM

Upgrade motor or change gear ratio?

I have a ‘96 Club Car DS lifted with 22” tires. The motor is a GE with a good blend of speed and torque. Max RPM is 4150. I’ve upgraded the MC to an Alltrax and have HD F/R and solenoid and 2 ga wires. My question is, to increase my speed from the 22mph I’m currently getting to the 25-30 mph that I’m looking for, what is the best route to take? I live in Fl so no major hills but we have some gradual ones in our neighborhood so I don’t want to lose a ton of torque. I’m looking at either a plum quick Bandit upgrade or changing from a 12:1 to an 8:1 gear ratio. I was originally looking at the Rattlesnake II motor, but Hurricane Irma changed the budget.

Thanks all.

Extractor 10-18-2017 11:28 AM

Re: Upgrade motor or change gear ratio?

Hey Scott- check out the details of my CC in my signature. With stock gearing I was doing wheelies and laying down 11's in reverse. Top speed was pretty slow...I don't remember but likely around 15-18mph +/-?? After installing the 6:1 I can get 31mph. I pull a trailer with my cart and have had it loaded with pavers and the cart had no problem pulling it around the yard. The solenoid took a dump but now that I have a super duty reversing contactor it's all good. There are a few bridges I go over and the cart will lose about 5-8mph going up the bridge. The torque is plenty for my cart and you aren't even going to 6:1... but I don't know how our motors compare.

PingEye3 10-18-2017 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott: If you are going to change gear ratios, consider the 10.3 gears that are in the Club Car Villager LSV. You can contact David Hicks 706-836-7210 at Revolution Golf Cars for information on part numbers and availability on the gear set.

I knew that I would have to do a complete rebuild to change gears and bearings, so I chose to spend a few extra bucks and purchase a complete 'brand new' 10.3:1 transaxle thru David that never had fluid installed. See my Avatar info as well. I didn't give up as much torque as I would have with 8:1 gears which is all you will find in the aftermarket along with the 6:1.
Good luck:thumbup:

Scott1088 10-18-2017 11:52 AM

Thanks Extractor! Your setup is very similar to mine. I need to put a pic up and my specs. I have an Allsport 6” A-Arm lift kit instead of the LT. I’ve got a heavy hitch that I tow a small trailer with but nothing as heavy as you. My motor doesn’t have the torque you have but I have more speed. Sounds like your set up is solid.

Scott1088 10-18-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PingEye3 (Post 1442627)
Scott: If you are going to change gear ratios, consider the 10.3 gears that are in the Club Car Villager LSV. You can contact David Hicks 706-836-7210 at Revolution Golf Cars for information on part numbers and availability on the gear set.

I knew that I would have to do a complete rebuild to change gears and bearings, so I chose to spend a few extra bucks and purchase a complete 'brand new' 10.3:1 transaxle thru David that never had fluid installed. See my Avatar info as well. I didn't give up as much torque as I would have with 8:1 gears which is all you will find in the aftermarket along with the 6:1.
Good luck:thumbup:

Thanks! David is my go-to guru and where I get my parts. I didn’t see gears on his website. I’ll give him a call now.

Swan 10-18-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott1088 (Post 1442615)
I was originally looking at the Rattlesnake II motor, but Hurricane Irma changed the budget.

Thanks all.

Wait and keep saving for the RS II

TahoeDawgZ71 10-18-2017 09:58 PM

Nice talking to you today. I don't recommend higher gears with oversized tires. Gary's cart is a little different. It's not lifted and it has regular sized tires on it, which is approximately the equivalent as your cart with stock gears and 22 or 23" tires on it.

Scott1088 10-19-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 1442828)
Nice talking to you today. I don't recommend higher gears with oversized tires. Gary's cart is a little different. It's not lifted and it has regular sized tires on it, which is approximately the equivalent as your cart with stock gears and 22 or 23" tires on it.

Thanks David. I am working with Robby at PQ and I think we’ve got a solution tht will work at least until I’m ready for the RS II.