Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Terminating Charge before complete (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=128714)

Kashmir 04-08-2017 07:22 AM

Terminating Charge before complete

Here's a question that I cannot believe I haven't asked yet....
04 Precedent, just converted to 6/8's from 4/12's.
Crown CR190's
My daughter will run the wheels off of this cart while at camp on the weekends.
She will leave and come back when the pack gets to 48.7 (between 50% -60%)

She will plug it in to the new DPI charger and wait.....
I'm not sure where the pack will be after an hour of charging, but if I know my daughter, she will be chomping at the bit to head back out on the cart.

Is it ok to terminate a charge at any time?
Obviously the pack won't be at 100% and she does know to unplug charger from AC before unplugging DC cord.

I don't want to damage this new battery pack, and this should only happen once every Saturday during the season...so what do the experts say?

Golf cart guy 04-08-2017 07:24 AM

Re: Terminating Charge before complete

Its not good.

Batteries really don't like that.

Should be allowed to charge until shut off.

scottyb 04-08-2017 08:03 AM

Trojan says "opportunity charging" is good when the use cycle exceeds the battery capacity. Like putting the cart on the charger while you eat lunch.
When the cart is plugged in the charger will output maximum amperage initially. This is the bulk phase of a multi-phased algorithm. This bulk charge is very effective at replenishing lost amperage quickly (usually 30-40 minutes). It is not a substitution for a complete charge but, it will extend your use.
Always plug the cart on for a complete charge when done.

Kashmir 04-08-2017 08:13 AM

I am figuring that she should be good until mid/late - afternoon, then plug in and eat lunch and take a nap (1-1.5 hours). Then she would need to go until bedtime.
Cart would get full charger overnight for sure.

Sergio 04-08-2017 08:20 AM

The only safety comment I would add is that in those cases to ask Your daughter to charge the cart with the Seat propped open.

Unplugging the AC cord first is good as it eliminates the possibility of an arc when the DC plug is unplugged.

There will likely be explosive gases venting from the batteries when the charge is interrupted, but they are light gases and will dissipate quickly if the seat does not trap them.

That will eliminate the possibility of any spark in the battery compartment causing problems.

Kashmir 04-08-2017 09:05 AM

Terminating Charge before complete

Got it
Thanks Sergio and Scotty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lockman1 04-08-2017 09:12 AM

I'm curious... do you ever get to take the cart? :lol:

Kashmir 04-08-2017 09:20 AM

Nope!
That is the ONLY reason I bought the 06 Carryall....so me and the wife can get around.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...277d555661.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetoddjohnson 04-08-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1371149)
The only safety comment I would add is that in those cases to ask Your daughter to charge the cart with the Seat propped open.

Unplugging the AC cord first is good as it eliminates the possibility of an arc when the DC plug is unplugged.

There will likely be explosive gases venting from the batteries when the charge is interrupted, but they are light gases and will dissipate quickly if the seat does not trap them.

That will eliminate the possibility of any spark in the battery compartment causing problems.

Obviously safety precautions are always a good thing. I’m not recommending against them, and I’m certainly not implying that Sergio hasn’t already forgotten way more about golf carts than I will ever know, but I figured I’d share my perspective.

My golf cart are on an island off the coast of NC where there are no cars allowed. Aside from bicycles and walking, golf carts are the only mode of transportation. There are literally thousands of golf carts. Many of the homes are rented out to vacationers, who clearly have no knowledge of how to maintain, or even care for, golf cart batteries. Sadly it is commonplace to see a cart way overloaded (6+ people) crawling along at 3 miles per hour because the batteries have been excessively depleted. (Why walk back to the rented house when you can chug chug along, right?)

It is very, very common to have multiple carts charging simultaneously in enclosed garages underneath houses. Nobody bothers to lift seats while charging. Nobody cares to wait for a charger to finish. (Hey man if you wanna get to the beach, you wanna get to the beach.).

As far as I know, in the 30+ years that the island has been developed there has never been an explosion and/or a fire from what I’ll call idiots-charging-carts-dangerously.

TJ

lockman1 04-08-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kashmir (Post 1371170)
Nope!
That is the ONLY reason I bought the 06 Carryall....so me and the wife can get around.

:lhmo:

Yeah... My wife was the same way, She'd take our only cart to the pool (literally 100 yards away)
and leave me stranded unless I walked up the hill to get it!
So I bought my own cart! :mrgreen: