Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Lazy acceleration (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=115495)

Cartguy 03-01-2016 10:42 AM

Lazy acceleration

So I have a new to me 05 precedent. It's got great top speed (21mph average) but lacking big time on acceleration. It's all stock except either a speed magnet or speed code, not sure which. Tires are 20" street tires. The acceleration didn't change when I swapped tires. Just the top end. It takes FOREVER to get to 19mph (300+ft) and then slowly creeps up to the 21. I can tell the power is there but being neutered big time. Is there a way to ramp up the acceleration settings? Hand held programmer or bring to the dealer? I did a search but maybe I'm not wording it right. Didn't come up with anything. Thanks in advance

Cartguy 03-01-2016 04:02 PM

Re: Lazy acceleration

Still searching for answers. So much misinformation out there. I was reading on this speed code 5? I read mixed reviews on it and I've read a thread on it with really no definitive answer.

Sergio 03-01-2016 04:55 PM

Start with the basics

The motor needs voltage to go faster, what is the pack voltage at cruising speed?

If You have Speed code 4, it will max out a 21mph with 20" tall tires.

If You drive down a hill, Do You feel the Regen brake Preventing the cart from going faster than 21mph?

The dealer is required to put the Speed Code 4 stickers on the Controller and somewhere else in the cart, the stickers have Code A, Code B and Code C numbers.

If You have a speed magnet and the pack voltage is not below +48v at cruising speed, the next thing is to check if the MCOR is providing 100% throttle signal.

Since You have the Controller between the batteries, that is an easy test.
Turn Key Switch OFF
Put FNR in Forward.
Set Your meter to 20v DC.
Measure Voltage from Pack Negative to Controller Pin #2 (Yellow Wire)
The Voltage Should go from: 0.32v to 4.60v (minimum).
If the voltage does not get above +4.60 with Pedal down, the Controller will not recognize 100% throttle input.

mrgolf 03-01-2016 05:00 PM

OK This is my recommendation. Sent you motor to plumb Quick and tell them what you want out of it. Order a 350 Curtis controller from David Site sponsor, Up Grade your cables to 4ga, either get them from Scotty B or make them your self with welding cables. Solder the ends on. You can find videos on utube that show you how to do them. When you get this done you will say WOW!. All the people are site sponsors, if you have problems they will help you figure things out. Thats the way I have my 2003 DS set up and love it. :thumbup::thumbup:

Cartguy 03-01-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1248396)
Start with the basics

The motor needs voltage to go faster, what is the pack voltage at cruising speed?

If You have Speed code 4, it will max out a 21mph with 20" tall tires.

If You drive down a hill, Do You feel the Regen brake Preventing the cart from going faster than 21mph?

The dealer is required to put the Speed Code 4 stickers on the Controller and somewhere else in the cart, the stickers have Code A, Code B and Code C numbers.

If You have a speed magnet and the pack voltage is not below +48v at cruising speed, the next thing is to check if the MCOR is providing 100% throttle signal.

Since You have the Controller between the batteries, that is an easy test.
Turn Key Switch OFF
Put FNR in Forward.
Set Your meter to 20v DC.
Measure Voltage from Pack Negative to Controller Pin #2 (Yellow Wire)
The Voltage Should go from: 0.32v to 4.60v (minimum).
If the voltage does not get above +4.60 with Pedal down, the Controller will not recognize 100% throttle input.

Thx. I was hoping I'd get a reply from you, you seem to answer the questions rather than go way off in left field and recommend a bunch of things I'm not ready for yet. I've had the cart for not even two weeks yet. I don't want to change the motor or controller just yet as I've spent enough on the look good and functional goodies that we wanted. I'm not looking for 30+mph (yet) but I would like a little more pep. I just hung up with Larry (he's the one who sells the speed code 5 (may be a gimmick, I don't know but he sounded like he wasn't full of it and knew what he was talking about) and he said I should get around 24mph with my 20" tires and it would be noticeably peppier. That's all I'm looking for at this point.

You are dead on as far as speed goes, it does 21mph and when I'm going down hill it does not speed up although it did see 22-23 a couple times but you could feel it being held back gently and slowed down to maintain about 21mph. So from what I've gathered so far I have speed code 4 and there is a decal on the roof saying is capable of faster speeds.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...8A05CBC11C.jpg

Cartguy 03-01-2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgolf (Post 1248397)
OK This is my recommendation. Sent you motor to plumb Quick and tell them what you want out of it. Order a 350 Curtis controller from David Site sponsor, Up Grade your cables to 4ga, either get them from Scotty B or make them your self with welding cables. Solder the ends on. You can find videos on utube that show you how to do them. When you get this done you will say WOW!. All the people are site sponsors, if you have problems they will help you figure things out. Thats the way I have my 2003 DS set up and love it. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks but I'm not ready to do all of that just yet. I did start making my cables out of 4ga this weekend but didn't do the ones that go to the controller or motor just yet. The ones I've made so far are short as possible. I'll he to the other ones this weekend. For now I'd like to max out what I have. That will suffice me for now. Thx

Sergio 03-01-2016 09:09 PM

Either a speed magnet or the Speed Code 5 device will get You a couple more MPH.

The Code 5 device will get You a little more speed due to how it modifies the controller, but that same trick will also trash You Speed Code 4 so You cannot put it back later without an IQDM dealer level programmer.

Since You are making Your own 4ga cables, You should be able to get the cable through the OBC before terminating it with the 5/16 lug.

Don't forget to use 2 wrenches on the motor studs so they don't turn.

Cartguy 03-02-2016 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1248459)
Either a speed magnet or the Speed Code 5 device will get You a couple more MPH.

The Code 5 device will get You a little more speed due to how it modifies the controller, but that same trick will also trash You Speed Code 4 so You cannot put it back later without an IQDM dealer level programmer.

Since You are making Your own 4ga cables, You should be able to get the cable through the OBC before terminating it with the 5/16 lug.

Don't forget to use 2 wrenches on the motor studs so they don't turn.

Thx. If I get the magnet it won't increase my tq, correct? The speed code 5 is claimed to increase the tq and Larry also told me he has a newer program for the ge motors where before people weren't getting the gains out of it like the amd motors. Not sure why I'd want to go back to speed code 4? The device has three speed levels from what I gather. A magnet is a lot cheaper tho...... Lol

mrgolf 03-02-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartguy (Post 1248519)
Thx. If I get the magnet it won't increase my tq, correct? The speed code 5 is claimed to increase the tq and Larry also told me he has a newer program for the ge motors where before people weren't getting the gains out of it like the amd motors. Not sure why I'd want to go back to speed code 4? The device has three speed levels from what I gather. A magnet is a lot cheaper tho...... Lol

I went through all the steps you are thinking about. Only thing I had stock tires and wheels until after I got the 350 controller. Then went with bigger tires. Have fun.:thumbup::mrgreen:

Cartguy 03-02-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgolf (Post 1248546)
I went through all the steps you are thinking about. Only thing I had stock tires and wheels until after I got the 350 controller. Then went with bigger tires. Have fun.:thumbup::mrgreen:

Well I don't want to get too crazy with it. I may end up just stopping where I'm at and get another one for myself. This one is for the family at the camp grounds BUT I also use it to get to a huge lake about a half mile from me. I did order the code 5 last night so we will see what that's about. I plan on using a removable connector so when I run the wire through the obc like this

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...A9830B0896.jpg

And how she sits now, nothing special but simple and clean.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...1B1D99D36F.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...91AA230E9E.jpg