Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Static from radio when lights are on??? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=115403)

Kmart06 02-27-2016 08:22 PM

Static from radio when lights are on???

Just finished installing lights, horn and stereo with amp and 4 speakers on my 48V 2006 Club Car DS. Everything works great except that when the radio is on and I turn on the lights, either set I have, I get really bad static. Anyone know what would cause/fix this? Also, when the radio is on and I honk the horn the radio turns off, then starts back up. Have no clue what would cause that! I am not very good with electrical connections but with a lot of help from member Sergio I got it installed! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

crash test dummy 02-27-2016 08:31 PM

Re: Static from radio when lights are on???

you need a rf filter in your power line to radio

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...H-si8dlG9g.jpg

are you running a reducer or a battery to power you stuff ?

Kmart06 02-27-2016 08:49 PM

reducer

crash test dummy 02-27-2016 08:53 PM

over load of reducer would cause radio to cut off

might need a bigger reducer

Kmart06 02-27-2016 09:00 PM

Its a 30 amp reducer and the radio doesn't cut off, it just turns to almost pure static.

crash test dummy 02-27-2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Also, when the radio is on and I honk the horn the radio turns off, then starts back up.
sorry i thought it cut off
filter will help with static

mrgolf 02-27-2016 09:05 PM

Put a diode in line of the radio power wire, between the diode and radio put a capacitor across neg and pos radio power wires. This will keep other things from pulling power from radio for a few seconds. Works on my GPS that used to turn off when I turned head lights on.

Kmart06 02-27-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash test dummy (Post 1247462)
sorry i thought it cut off
filter will help with static

I guess I was misleading. The static is caused by the radio, but a separate? problem is that when I honk the horn, the radio DOES turn off. I can have both sets of lights and radio on and the radio wont lose power, but as soon as I push the horn button I lose the radio. Even with both lights OFF and only radio on, the horn kills the radio. SOOO frustrating!

Sergio 02-27-2016 11:02 PM

The horn problem is strange, lets check some basics:

The horn is connected to the fuse box, right?

You ran 10ga or better wire from the converter to the Relay N.O. Contact and 10ga wire back to the Fuse box, right?

Kmart06 02-27-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1247495)
The horn problem is strange, lets check some basics:

The horn is connected to the fuse box, right?

You ran 10ga or better wire from the converter to the Relay N.O. Contact and 10ga wire back to the Fuse box, right?

Yes, the horn is connected to a relay which is then connected to the fuse box. The green wire from the converter to the relay is definately not 10 gauge, probably 12 or 14, but it is what came on the converter. The wire from the relay to the fuse box is 14 gauge, I didn't know I would need bigger wire. I will upgrade that to 10 gauge tomorrow.