Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Voltage reducer install issues (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=106306)

Mrjonman 05-23-2015 01:18 PM

Voltage reducer install issues

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up a reducer from Carts Unlimited, but I've done something wrong, because it's not powering my lite kit from LITESeasy. I included a couple pics to see if anyone can spot an issue, and yes I've already checked all fuses.

The + was connected to the last battery in the series, as well as the -

When lite kit is wired in a series, it works perfectly

Mrjonman 05-23-2015 01:19 PM

Re: Voltage reducer install issues

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 2

Mrjonman 05-23-2015 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 3

scottyb 05-23-2015 01:31 PM

THe key switch connection looks correct. Not certain if anything is plugged into the fuse panel in pic 3? If the reducer is being powered properly you should have 12v measured between any fuse box terminal and the buss bar.

Mrjonman 05-23-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1157963)
Not certain if anything is plugged into the fuse panel in last pic?

It was, but I've currently got the light kit wired directly to the batteries.

My first thought was maybe I had the yellow wire hooked up incorrectly to the key but figured I would ask on here before just playing trial & error

Mrjonman 05-23-2015 01:38 PM

I'll check with a volt meter once I get back home. Going to a party in the neighborhood this afternoon/evening so just wanted to have lights in case things run late

eminence_front 05-23-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrjonman (Post 1157966)
I'll check with a volt meter once I get back home. Going to a party in the neighborhood this afternoon/evening so just wanted to have lights in case things run late

Might also take the positive lead from your meter, onto the positive wire on the light, and the negative lead of your meter to chassis and make sure you haven't inadvertantly grounded out to the frame. Shouldn't read any potential from the Positive wire and the frame, since the ground shouldn't be to Chassis.

Could be a pinched wire or something (this is common.)

NO pun intended. (electrical joke.) :P

Mrjonman 05-23-2015 06:37 PM

ROOKIE mistake

It wasn't in gear....put it in gear & everything works perfectly. Thankfully the party I'm at, a good friend is here & is a master mechanic....10min & he had it figured out.

Mrjonman 05-24-2015 06:25 AM

Now my question is, is that right? It only has power with the key on & in gear?

scottyb 05-24-2015 09:21 AM

We are doing this both online and in email so I thought I would update the thread.
We got past this issue by by-passing the micro switch on the F&R so the keyswitch has power all the time not just when in gear. No more problems