Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1994 DS upgrade: I want some speed, some torque (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=58360)

jonl 12-27-2011 12:22 PM

1994 DS upgrade: I want some speed, some torque

Hello. I bought a 1994 Club Car Series this Christmas for the family . Wish I had come here first as you provide a wealth of information and it would have been very useful in determining what to buy. That is now of course beside the point. I would like some more speed (20 mph would be just fine) but want to keep or improve torque as well as it will be used not only for neighborhood streets but also for the hunting lease where there are some modest hills. I have reviewed many of the threads on this topic but many want more speed than I want. I am trying to find out what I can do to acheive that speed and decent torque at the best cost. It has a Jakes lift package and 23 x 10 50 12 tires. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks! jonl

shadowman 12-27-2011 02:13 PM

Re: 1994 DS upgrade: I want some speed, some torque

3 things you can do is 1st if it has a stock controller upgrade it 2nd is a PQ motor and 3rd is either 4 or 2 gage wires thurout the cart.........other than that its an upgrade to a 48 volt cart and still a controller and motor and wires, but since its a 36 volt cart as long as its already a controller cart you can get there without going to 48 volts cause than your talking a lot more money........if the lift was on it when you bought it theres a chance they might have changed out the stock controller ( saves you some money ) .............anyways this is the best way to get both speed and torque................................8)

kgsc 12-27-2011 02:26 PM

shadowman, did you mean purple Plum Quick motor ? never heard of a PG ?

shadowman 12-27-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgsc (Post 665841)
shadowman, did you mean purple Plum Quick motor ? never heard of a PG ?

i,m sorry yes a PQ , i just fixed it....................................8)

jonl 12-27-2011 03:44 PM

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately he did not change out the controller. What kind of ballpark speed increase am I looking at if I take those three steps? Should I do them all together or can one be picked over the others such as getting a new controller? If the latter will I see enough benefit without the others or should I look at this as a package upgrade where all are needed to give me any real benefit? Please bear with a new user as I get a handle on this. thanks!!

kgsc 12-27-2011 04:20 PM

Things vary but my bud put a PQ Bandit in his all stock 95 ds and picked up I think like 3 mph. Gave it more torque. We did upgrade the wires to 4Ga as well. Not a beast but made a difference and is good to go for future upgrades. Very good bang for the buck.

scottyb 12-27-2011 06:15 PM

Your best bet is a voltage increase.

Increasing the voltage to 48v will give you 30% more torque and speed from the stock motor. It is the biggest bang for the buck and one of the only ways that you can actually speed up a series cart without putting in a high rpm (speed) motor which reduces torque.:thumbdown:

Bottom line is 2 increase speed & torque increase voltage.

1994 CC is a good year cart. Hope this helps.

petercook 12-27-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 665909)
Your best bet is a voltage increase.

Increasing the voltage to 48v will give you 30% more torque and speed from the stock motor. It is the biggest bang for the buck and one of the only ways that you can actually speed up a series cart without putting in a high rpm (speed) motor which reduces torque.:thumbdown:

Bottom line is 2 increase speed & torque increase voltage.

1994 CC is a good year cart. Hope this helps.

how do you mean increasing the voltage to 48 v on a 36 v cart scotty, i have a 99 cc 36v cc just curious about this

scottyb 12-27-2011 06:27 PM

All of the 36v golf cart stock motors will respond favorably to 48 volts.

You will need an electronic speed controller rated for 48v, no resistor carts, unless converted to ESC.
a 48v solenoid
48v worth of batteries
& a way to charge 48v

rose88 12-28-2011 08:21 AM

Scotty,

I am in kind of the same boat, I have a 1994 with resistor coils and a rear end with no motor. Can I buy a 48 volt motor, and a controller and change everything over?

Or should I use the stock motor (36v) and use 48v stuff?

:thumbup: