Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha G9 rev limiter (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=14826)

YamahaG9 04-05-2009 04:44 PM

Yamaha G9 rev limiter

My G9 goes about 30kph.. I've already bypassed the governor.
It accelerates well but when it reaches this speed some sort of limiter kicks in and cuts the revs, then it slows a bit before the revs increase again.. This is annoying as i know its got so much left in it! so is there any way of removing this limiter? or does anyone know where to find it? Also i've read posts which say this is bad for the engine if you go flat out for too long so is there any other way of increasing the speed?

rusty 04-05-2009 10:59 PM

Re: Yamaha G9 rev limiter

Hello YamahaG9 and Welcome to the forum.

Someone should be along to answer your questions anytime.

spriddle 04-06-2009 09:15 AM

G9's do not have rev limiters. The G2 has one and there is no way to disable it.

smallblock450sl 04-06-2009 02:41 PM

You might take the primary clutch cap off and check the weights. I've seen loose/worn out or broken weights cause the "reving" problem. Good luck Dave

YamahaG9 04-07-2009 03:55 PM

Thanks il give it a try!

dock98 04-07-2009 04:02 PM

welcome 2 BGW.

YamahaG9 04-08-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock450sl (Post 173289)
You might take the primary clutch cap off and check the weights. I've seen loose/worn out or broken weights cause the "reving" problem. Good luck Dave

Took off the clutch cap and it looks fine in there, not worn out or broken.. Could it be because it has reached its max speed anyway or would it not suddenly cut out like its been doing and just tail off instead?

spriddle 04-08-2009 12:54 PM

Max speed on a stock G9 (with the governor completely bypassed) is around 25mph. Average is about 20mph.

YamahaG9 04-08-2009 02:46 PM

yeh mine does about that so i guess it must have just have reached its top speed.. Thanks anyway for the help.. What do u think i should do next to get the most out of the engine?

spriddle 04-08-2009 04:47 PM

Bypass the governor if you haven't. Hook the pedal cable directly to the carb. and do away with the small cable coming off the governor (completely bypassing it). You'll have to adjust the cable so the carb. throttle completely opens and (for sure) completely closes. You can also get a jet kit and k&n air filter for it. Another thing, if you can weld, is take apart the muffler and gut it. They are very restrictive. All my Yamaha's, the first thing I do is bypass the governor and install the spring/spacer only torque kit. Then I just usually leave them that way. If you could get ahold of a G16 engine, mod it to fit in a G9, then you could hit some high speeds up around 32+. But as far as these little mods go, bypassing the governor is about the biggest jump your going to get for speed. After that, big blocking would be the next BIG step. I advise running a good synthetic if you bypass the governor. I run Mobil 1 10w30 in mine. And never ever ever ever put any thick oil addive in your cart. It uses a splash system to oil and oil additives will not splash (so to speak). You'll ruin your rings quick.