Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Better valves and springs (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160641)

Activate 02-03-2020 01:52 PM

Better valves and springs

The robin engine from my Marathon keeps smoking it is running fine with no other problems.

I want to rebuild the head (pre MCI), and want to change the valves and springs for something better then stock.

What do you guys advice?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.

edge800 02-03-2020 05:30 PM

Re: Better valves and springs

As far as I know oem parts are as good as it gets. Its a golf cart not a hemi

trig123 02-03-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Activate (Post 1687597)
The robin engine from my Marathon keeps smoking it is running fine with no other problems.

I want to rebuild the head (pre MCI), and want to change the valves and springs for something better then stock.

What do you guys advice?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.

I don't know of any aftermarket springs and valves that would do a better job than the original ones. Wish someone could come up with a way to copy these engines as I think they are the best EZGO ever made. Its a shame they stop making them but all that is now history. :thumbup:

Activate 02-04-2020 02:27 AM

Quote:

As far as I know oem parts are as good as it gets. Its a golf cart not a hemi
True...but if there is something better then stock I would try them.
Going to install new seats anyway and new valveguides from manganese-bronze.

Thanks and greetings,

Erik

racin161 02-04-2020 02:40 PM

You may want to use oil light bronze. :thumbup:

Activate 02-04-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

You may want to use oil light bronze.
True!

SAE 841 Sintered Bronze is good too!

Timberwolflt 02-05-2020 08:43 PM

Falls under the heading of ‘If it ain’t broke... Don’t fix it’

Activate 02-06-2020 12:54 AM

Quote:

Falls under the heading of ‘If it ain’t broke... Don’t fix it’
It is broke....(lots of smoke)

trig123 02-06-2020 07:37 AM

Are you going to install new piston rings ? It is rare that the cylinder head would cause all your smoking. I assume you have the engine out ? Rebuild that thing with all new seals and of course the rings. :thumbup:

CP241 02-06-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Activate (Post 1688206)
It is broke....(lots of smoke)

The only way thats usually a valve or head issue is if the valve seals are gone. And even then it's not going to create lots of smoke all the time. Maybe a little at startup after it's been sitting, or a puff when you let off the gas and coast to a stop, the puff will come when you go again. But it will clear up and stop smoking as you drive.

If its smoking all the time it's either rings, or simply overfilled with oil. If your cart is lifted, and reads full on the dipstick its overfilled. Lifted cart, "full" is about 1/3 the way up the hatching. Check your airbox for oil, there should be none. If there is, again, too much oil.