Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I keep having to reset the OBC on transporter 6 (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=142772)

Golfinw71 06-11-2018 04:21 PM

I keep having to reset the OBC on transporter 6

Hey Folks!! I am stumped on what is happening on a friend of mine's golf cart. They have a 2003 transporter 6 48v with a newly installed OBC and built-in charger.

After driving it for a bit and plugging it back in, the charger will not kick on. After reseting the OBC, per the instructions, the charger will kick on. It has version 5.1 OBC and was installed in january of this year. What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sergio 06-11-2018 04:25 PM

Re: I keep having to reset the OBC on transporter 6

What charger do you have?

Golfinw71 06-11-2018 04:34 PM

club car power drive model 17935

Golfinw71 06-11-2018 05:15 PM

Quick Update...

After leaving the charger plugged in (wall power and into the golf cart) for about 10 minutes, the charger kicks on. Way longer than the normal few seconds that it takes on a standard club car. Is this normal?

NoleFan4Ever 06-11-2018 05:18 PM

No, not normal. 5-15 seconds, yes.

Watch it and see if it does do a complete charge. (Unless there is a loose connection, it sure does sound like your OBC has an issue again...)

Golfinw71 06-11-2018 05:21 PM

I'll watch it, Thanks!!

I wonder if it could be the relay in the charger or a bad OBC? Or something else?

NoleFan4Ever 06-11-2018 05:25 PM

Since it works after you reset it, that tends to make it more of an OBC issue.

I would make sure that all the connections are tight, unplug and replug the OBC harness connection, check the terminals on the back of the receptacle, inside the receptacle, etc.

Sergio 06-11-2018 05:43 PM

Unlike a regular Powerdrive charger, the onboard version like your model 17935 has an extra 120v relay that closes when it is plugged to the AC power and it completes the "sense wire" circuit to the regular 48v charger relay.

If the OBC senses the charger but there is no AC power, it will check periodically to see if power is available.

You said "plugged to the cart", is Your charger not permanently wired to the cart circuit?

If it is, You should hear the relay click ON/OFF as you plugged the charger to the AC service.

TahoeDawgZ71 06-12-2018 07:24 PM

The OBC doesn't know whether you have an external charger or an on-board charger. All it knows is that the car isn't supposed to run when the charger is plugged in. With an on-board charger, the charger is permanently wired into the battery pack as if it was always plugged into the cart. Because of this, an additional AC Circuit board is installed in the on-board charger to allow the vehicle to run when it's unplugged from AC power, and to prohibit the vehicle from running when it's plugged into the wall. Next time you plug your cart into the wall and the charger doesn't turn on, try and see if the cart will run. If it runs, you've got an issue with the internal AC board.

Golfinw71 06-25-2018 03:02 PM

Great, thank you all very much. I’ll check it this week and report back.