Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Removing Cart from charging too quick. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=82083)

Bert18 06-25-2013 12:15 PM

Removing Cart from charging too quick.

My question is what happens if you take the cart off of the charger before it's done?
The other day I thought I was done for the day and put the cart to charge. Then we needed to run out for something. Because I have new batteries and I'm trying to follow the Batteries Sticky as if it were Gospel, we took my truck instead. Would it have been bad to unplug it and use it? Is this something that if done once in awhile it's OK or what? Normally I only put my cart to charge at the end of the day.

CartTrader 06-25-2013 12:44 PM

Re: Removing Cart from charging too quick.

It is ok to do it on occasion. I do and haven't found any ill effects as yet. I have some batteries that are 7 years old and still hold a decent charge. Not great but decent!!

CartTrader

scottyb 06-25-2013 01:05 PM

This is a good practice. During a long day of use such a quick charge would be used during a lunch break or such. It is called an 'opportunity charge'. The GC charger always starts in bulk charge mode which is it's highest output. This fast replenishing of amperage is money in the bank for next 18 holes or whatever you are doing. Then just charge as normal when you are done for the day.

SaltLifeCC 06-25-2013 01:19 PM

Scotty, are you saying doing this is okay anytime or only when necessary? The other day, my son was riding the cart down at the campground. We just put new batteries in it so I want to try and take care of them. I came back to find the cart on the charger and him having a sandwich, but he wanted to go back out on the cart that evening. I told him he had to wait for it to finish now that he had plugged it in. I later relented and let him unplug it and go but told him that would be the last time we did that. Was I wrong on that?

Funny, because the people across from us had a 12 year old girl riding their cart and I sat outside throughout the day and watched her come back and plug it in, sometimes for no longer than 20 minutes, and then go back and unplug it and leave again. I witnessed her doing that at least 4 times in the same day and I was wondering what kind of damage she must be doing to those batteries.

nobogez42 06-25-2013 02:21 PM

This is good to know.:thumbup: I often run into the situation where I could plug it up for a couple of hours, but have not done so for fear of damaging the batteries.

SaltLifeCC 06-25-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobogez42 (Post 899440)
This is good to know.:thumbup: I often run into the situation where I could plug it up for a couple of hours, but have not done so for fear of damaging the batteries.

Same here, but I would like it confirmed before I go doing it a lot.

Bill 06-25-2013 02:42 PM

I thought You were to try and not do that for the first dozen or so charges when breaking in/equalizing a new battery pack ?

SaltLifeCC 06-25-2013 02:44 PM

I've already been through at least a dozen charge cycles - made sure i did that before ever taking cart to campground.

nobogez42 06-25-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC (Post 899447)
I've already been through at least a dozen charge cycles - made sure i did that before ever taking cart to campground.

Same here. I am assuming I am past the break in period. I did not count the number of charges but I saw a noticeable difference in the performance of my batteries about 10 charges ago.

crash test dummy 06-25-2013 03:38 PM

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...fc/popcorn.gif