Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Definitive Club Car DS Rotation Guide: (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=148056)

BrettAllen 11-22-2018 01:07 AM

The Definitive Club Car DS Rotation Guide:

I know it's be asked a million times, but could someone please post the definitive guide, once & for all, for a clone engine swap regarding the CCDS years/models. I have a 1997 CCDS gasser... And couldn't be more confused what will & will not work.

Some posts say the 1997 and up CCDS has a clockwise engine, and yet, an off the shelf clockwise engine at places like Harbor Freight - (i believe i read) cant be used to perform a simple swap? Something to do with the transaxle? Maybe not? This is where you come in. There is a lot of erroneous info out there and i was just hoping someone could end all the confusion. I've spent hours reading and couldn't be any more confused...

1) 1997 & up Club Car ds engine/transaxle rotation direction:
2) 1997 and under engine/axle rotation direction:
3) Standard off the shelf 6.5hp / 18hp / 22hp V-Twin engine rotation:
4) When performing an engine swap, what to consider:
5) In what instances do you need to run forward for reverse?

Please excuse the caps i'm visually impaired...
5) i realize all the gearing info is already out there... 8)

lockman1 11-22-2018 07:27 AM

Re: The Definitive Club Car DS Rotation Guide:

Welcome to BGW Brett! :thumbup:

Club Car engine/transaxle rotation viewing the Drive Clutch:

1984 to late 1996:
Kawasaki engines w/the 2 part transmission/differential rotate Counterclockwise.

1997 to late 2013:
Kawasaki engines w/Unitized transaxles rotate Clockwise.

2014 to present:
Subaru engines w/Fuji transaxles rotate Counterclockwise.

ALL (well, almost all) of the aftermarket engines rotate Counterclockwise. (off the shelf HF, Briggs etc.)
I say almost, because I had heard there was one... ONE... Honda engine that rotates Clockwise,
(Don't ask me which one, because I don't know!)

Club Car is an odd duck!
Nobody really knows WHY the Club Car and Kawasaki designers got together
and thought it would be a good idea to make the later model carts rotate Clockwise!
(maybe because all of the other manufacturers rotate counterclockwise?) :dontknow:

Counterclockwise aftermarket engines CAN be used with the Clockwise transaxle,
It's been done a number of times with positive results!
(as long as you don't mind the shifter being in reverse while moving forward)

Because of the gear ratio change using the reverse gearing for forward,
most 97+ CC engine swappers add high speed gears to improve the top speed and still have loads of torque,
and most use 18hp or better engines with the HS gears,
(I don't think the smaller, off the shelf Harbor Freight engines would fair as well w/HS gears as the larger V-twins do.)

I've never done a swap, but the things to consider for a BB swap would be:
Engine mount, drive belt, heavier drive and driven clutches, possible charging system, throttle, and air/fuel delivery upgrades, and yes, high speed gears!

Check out the Big Block forum... granted, most CC swappers prefer pre-96 counterclockwise transaxles for a big block swap,
but, there are a few 97+ Club Cars with Briggs, and Clone big block upgrades that I'm jealous about!

Click>>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-block-talk/

Hope this helps! 8)

Springbok 11-22-2018 10:08 AM

Sticky! :thumbup:

gmncj785 11-22-2018 12:21 PM

Thank you for the info!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BrettAllen 11-23-2018 04:24 AM

Thank You... and Happy Holidays! At least now hopefully, once and for all, people'll have a place for the correct info... But I just wish i'd known all this years ago when i bought my 97 and started dumping $$ into the lift and all the extras!! Now I guess I'll start hitting Craigslist for a used 96 Gasser DS -- someone who wants one towed off would probably be a whole lot cheaper than just buying the transaxle outright! I am so tired of that low rev, cold blooded FE290 in upper upstate NY -- altho that low end torque certainly hauled a lot of firewood, not fast, but it never hesitated once it warmed up. I bet i put 1/2 ton of wood on it & behind it several times... even towed a few cars and pulled a few snow machines off the lake! Anyone got any cold weather tips for a stock engine? Still got the limiter, governor, jet & stock pipe. is it worth upgrading... or better to eventually spend $300 for an 18HP clone? And would the torque difference even be noticeable with an 18HP clone? I was thinking a 4 stroke not the V Twin. Just too much money to justify for the amount of use it gets. What is the right cold weather jet? And what about a straight pipe? Would the mini bike clone pipe bolt on? I do like my choke in cold weather tho... Maybe i could find a clone Mikuni with an offset manifold & slide...

mckittrick.joe 07-07-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettAllen (Post 1561982)
Thank You... and Happy Holidays! At least now hopefully, once and for all, people'll have a place for the correct info... But I just wish i'd known all this years ago when i bought my 97 and started dumping $$ into the lift and all the extras!! Now I guess I'll start hitting Craigslist for a used 96 Gasser DS -- someone who wants one towed off would probably be a whole lot cheaper than just buying the transaxle outright! I am so tired of that low rev, cold blooded FE290 in upper upstate NY -- altho that low end torque certainly hauled a lot of firewood, not fast, but it never hesitated once it warmed up. I bet i put 1/2 ton of wood on it & behind it several times... even towed a few cars and pulled a few snow machines off the lake! Anyone got any cold weather tips for a stock engine? Still got the limiter, governor, jet & stock pipe. is it worth upgrading... or better to eventually spend $300 for an 18HP clone? And would the torque difference even be noticeable with an 18HP clone? I was thinking a 4 stroke not the V Twin. Just too much money to justify for the amount of use it gets. What is the right cold weather jet? And what about a straight pipe? Would the mini bike clone pipe bolt on? I do like my choke in cold weather tho... Maybe i could find a clone Mikuni with an offset manifold & slide...

My stock jet was 80. I got 90 from cart parts plus. Makes a Big difference!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A7-30F using Tapatalk

freemurray 02-07-2021 09:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I messed around not paying attention and installed a carryall 1 96 model FE290 (CC) engine in a 2003 model Carryall 2 thats suppose to have a clockwise engine. Now it runs faster in reverse than forward.

Any ideas on how to fix? Looking at the 96 model rear end it does not look like it would work (bolting up) and going in the 2003. The way it mounts to the rear of the engine looks different.

the first 2 photos are after I installed the engine in the CA2, the 3rd photo is the carryall 1 and you can see how the rear end connects to the engine

Springbok 02-08-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemurray (Post 1804967)
So I messed around not paying attention and installed a carryall 1 96 model FE290 (CC) engine in a 2003 model Carryall 2 thats suppose to have a clockwise engine. Now it runs faster in reverse than forward.

Any ideas on how to fix? Looking at the 96 model rear end it does not look like it would work (bolting up) and going in the 2003. The way it mounts to the rear of the engine looks different.

the first 2 photos are after I installed the engine in the CA2, the 3rd photo is the carryall 1 and you can see how the rear end connects to the engine

You can't just swap out the entire cradle (engine/transaxle/everything) from the '96 into the '03? :dontknow:

I've never seen in detail how the Carryalls are set up but I had a buddy who has a 1999+ DS that he mounted a pre-1997 rear end into so that he could run a v-twin. I don't know if he did the whole cradle swap or not.

ReelTight 12-28-2021 07:13 PM

I’m in reading this correctly…for a 95 DS a standard off the shelf counter clockwise predator would be what I’m after correct?

meimk 12-28-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReelTight (Post 1868432)
I’m in reading this correctly…for a 95 DS a standard off the shelf counter clockwise predator would be what I’m after correct?

Yes