Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Custom rear suspension questions (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152935)

dearthvader 05-15-2019 10:26 PM

Custom rear suspension questions

I purchased a stock electric 2014 ezgo RXV last year and shortly after installed a Madjax 6" A-arm lift kit. I love the raised look but it rides like a log truck unless loaded with four adults as the suspension is way too stiff. Also, the shocks hardly dampen the suspension recoil. I intend to buy the Jake's travel suspension package for the front but it looks like I'll have to custom fabricate a new rear suspension as there doesn't seem to be any kits for the rear other than basic leaf springs which I want to steer away from.

I've been doing a lot of research and have decided to fabricate a 4-link setup for the rear. I'm not too worried about achieving the correct geometry, fabrication, etc. My biggest concern is making sure I get enough suspension support to allow for four adults while at the same time not a super stiff suspension with only 1 adult on board. I've been looking at many shocks/coil-over options and think I've found the right solution.

After some research and calculations it appears I'll need springs w/ approx. 125 lb spring rate (I figure the cart will weight approximately 1500 lbs with two adults and a child). I like the Monroe load adjusting shocks; however, the max spring rate they offer is 60 lbs. After speaking to a Monroe rep on the phone it looks like I can easily remove their spring and replace with an aftermarket spring properly rated for the load.

Below are links to the products:
https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58624-.../dp/B000C55MN8

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...-125/overview/

These are also an option but will be double the cost of the Monroe shocks. I really like the adjustability though as you can adjust damping strength:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-us502/overview/

What do you guys think? I appreciate any opinions as my family and I ride it almost every day of the week and I really want to improve the ride.

One last thing...anyone out there who's installed the Jake's long travel kit who has an opinion on quality of the kit and how much wider is the wheelbase once installed?

jclark138 05-15-2019 11:23 PM

Re: Custom rear suspension questions

Looking forward to seeing your build. I’ve been working towards a 3-link rear, for the same ride problems, and shocks/springs are a question. Logging trucks have an air-ride seat, so they do have a much more comfortable ride than my cart !
I have a Jakes LT on an EZGO, and the stance is about 4” wider in the front. After a couple years, it is very squeaky, no lube has helped, so I’m planning on replace the heim joints with grease-able ones, and maybe narrowing it then too. The shocks it came with are done. Most travel is rough dirt roads for us.
Best - :thumbup:

dearthvader 05-16-2019 06:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you feel the Jake's LT kit helped the feel in the front of the cart?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclark138 (Post 1615412)
Looking forward to seeing your build. I’ve been working towards a 3-link rear, for the same ride problems, and shocks/springs are a question. Logging trucks have an air-ride seat, so they do have a much more comfortable ride than my cart !
I have a Jakes LT on an EZGO, and the stance is about 4” wider in the front. After a couple years, it is very squeaky, no lube has helped, so I’m planning on replace the heim joints with grease-able ones, and maybe narrowing it then too. The shocks it came with are done. Most travel is rough dirt roads for us.
Best - :thumbup:

Jkerle 05-16-2019 06:41 AM

I cant speak directly for your application but I've used Jake's LT kits on 2 precedents. The adjustability of the front shocks will allow you to set it up exactly how you want it. Super soft all the way to super hard and everything in between. The width is ridiculous! However it's much welcomed on a lifted cart it provides alot more stability at speed and off camber riding. To even out the front with the rear I used 3inch spacers on each side.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NCPW 05-16-2019 09:25 AM

Good luck with your rear build! I just got through doing the same thing.

The Monroe shocks are actually dampeners more than shocks so they won't help support your cart but maybe they'll work for you with those springs you linked. Have you looked into ATV coilovers instead? I'm currently using Sportsman 700 coilovers on the back of mine and they ride good, especially with weight on the rear seat but are still a little stiff with only me driving and no passengers. Still miles better than the HD leafs that were on there before though.

I just bought some Fox shocks that should be here next week that have 125lbs springs on them along with helper springs to soften the ride a little and still allow adjustment for extra loaded weight if need be. :thumbup:

dearthvader 05-16-2019 11:48 AM

Do you know the spring rate of the Sportsman coilovers?

Also, can you tell me the model of the Fox shocks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCPW (Post 1615520)
Good luck with your rear build! I just got through doing the same thing.

The Monroe shocks are actually dampeners more than shocks so they won't help support your cart but maybe they'll work for you with those springs you linked. Have you looked into ATV coilovers instead? I'm currently using Sportsman 700 coilovers on the back of mine and they ride good, especially with weight on the rear seat but are still a little stiff with only me driving and no passengers. Still miles better than the HD leafs that were on there before though.

I just bought some Fox shocks that should be here next week that have 125lbs springs on them along with helper springs to soften the ride a little and still allow adjustment for extra loaded weight if need be. :thumbup:

NCPW 05-16-2019 03:11 PM

Not sure on the sportsman but they're pretty stiff alone but ride really good with 4 adults onboard. Not much adjustment for them other than preload either.

The Fox shocks are Podium shocks and can be found as stock take offs from Polaris RZRs, Outlaws, Preadators, some Honda ATVs and I'm sure many other makes and models I don't know about. Look on ebay or other ATV forums in the for sales sections. Or they can be bought new for $$$.