Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Heim Joint squeak? This worked for me (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152781)

DaveTM 05-12-2019 05:28 AM

Heim Joint squeak? This worked for me

Ever since I installed my Jakes LT front lift, the Heim Joints would give me (not that I ask 'em to) a little squeak. Now, for most this is hardly noticeable .....but when out hunting quiet is very key.

I had tried spray on "dry lubes" in the past with little successs.

About two months ago the thought came to me that motorcycle's and chainsaws are lubed every day with "chain" type lubes. So, I purchased a can of chainsaw oil and applied to the Heim Joints with a cotton swab. My squeaks have been gone since....and with only one application.

I was somewhat concerned about the oil picking up dirt and dust and then turning into a "sandpaper" type of mix that would wear out the joints. But then motorcycles and chain saws are out in the same stuff I drive in.

A once-in-a-while cleaning of the Joints, and re-application of oil.....just like motorcycle guys and chainsaw guys do for maintenance, should reduce any premature wear.

Anyway....it works for me and I thought I'd pass it on.

FWIW

BBBHC 05-12-2019 08:22 AM

Re: Heim Joint squeak? This worked for me

Good tip! I've been wondering about trying to keep debris off the heim joints. My cart is all black, except for a few fasteners and bushings that I have yet to paint or replace. I was going to start looking for some covers for the heim joints. I can't think of a negative to this, except that they might get water or debris in them, and then not have a way to get out.

DaveTM 05-12-2019 12:24 PM

I also considered buying a Heim Joint cover, but then I figured when (not if) "stuff" gets in the boot, it will be like a concrete mixer and grind the Heim faster. I think (like that carries a lot of weight) that just leaving 'em open would be less abrasive.

MHO

dundeebarnbuggy 05-12-2019 12:39 PM

Just keep them oiled or greased:thumbup:, if the joint has a zerk. These last surprisingly well in dirty environments. Their biggest threat is corrosion of the bearing surfaces themselves, thus the oil.

slonomo 05-12-2019 09:17 PM

Yes heims need lubed. Unless you have the type with teflon/nylon inserts, supposedly they don't, but I use silicone oil on those. I usually use a synthetic motor oil, just a couple drops, on the metal on metal types. It does get dirty, but that just comes with the territory.

Fairtax4me 05-12-2019 10:38 PM

As you’ve found out, silicone spray is useless for those. Chain and cable spray lube works great and stays in place. You can get dust covers for them but to keep dirt and other debris from getting in the cover it needs to be FULL of grease. Which is hard to keep that way unless the joint has a zerk fitting.