Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1998 ezgo txt high speed motor (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=148116)

Ransom276 11-25-2018 07:27 PM

1998 ezgo txt high speed motor

Hey guys I’m knew to the site. Been following a few years now. I hsve a 1998 txt that I completely rebuilt from ground up last year. Well over the past year I have had to replace f/r switches(3) solenoid (3) and controller (1). New motor was installed last year and just found out they sent a high speed motor. It’s a advanced motor and I checked the specs on it and it’s only calls for upgrades 4 awg wire and high amp solenoid. I have since done this and cart runs great. My problem is when there is 3 adults and child on it it gets hot and cuts off. So my question is... is there a controller that will fix this problem or what do I need to do to make it 100 percent reliable. Driven on flat grounds with little to no hills. Also lifted with 23 inch tires and new batteries. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

yurtle 11-25-2018 07:33 PM

Re: 1998 ezgo txt high speed motor

Welcome.

First tell us the following:

Drive type
Voltage
Exact motor
Exact controller
What error codes are you getting from controller when it dies?

Ransom276 11-25-2018 08:34 PM

Hey thanks for the response.
36 volt AMD motor that is suppose to be stock replacement for oem (73124-G03)
Stock 3 terminal Curtis controller
4awg wire throughout cart
H/solenoid
38.8 volts on battery pack.
I have buzzer disconnected so don’t no what code it’s thrown. The motor specs for the one I have is just saying upgrade wire and solenoid which I have done as well as F/R switch. Cools down and goes back to working

yurtle 11-25-2018 08:42 PM

Need drive type:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

I'm guessing series. If so, a high speed motor, plus HUGE tires will never fly on stock controller.

We also need motor model number, since you said it was high speed.

Ransom276 11-25-2018 09:01 PM

I’m sorry yes it is series. It is a part number 7122 on the motor itself. Brand is Nidec drive system. When I put that number in from where I purchased it it pulls up advanced AMD motor. Not sure if there one in the same or entirely different. It’s rated at 4 HP 4400 rpms

yurtle 11-25-2018 09:15 PM

Kewl. ScottyB at Carts Unlimited, a Site Sponsor, sold me everything in my sig.

He or others can recommend a good controller, as mine is "dated". A new controller can run at 36 volts now, and 48 if you decide to upgrade later. Your motor can take this just fine. Your motor's Hp is about half of mine, but I'm pretty sure it's a good bit more than stock AND bigger tires will need more amps.

With a series drive, volts = speed and amps = torque. With your bigger tires you traded torque for speed, AND it's pulling more amps than your stock controller can handle.

Can you tell us the make and model of your solenoid and where you bought your FNR?

Here's a link to ScottyB's website. It's a good place to read up on what each component does, and will help you figure out what you have vs. what you need to get it to do what you want.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

How new are the batteries? If pretty new - a few months - one option could be to put one battery under the passenger side and another in the bag well, to go to 48 volts now.

Amps = heat, both for the motor and controller, so if you increase the voltage, you decrease the amperage, for the same amount of work (+\-).

yurtle 11-25-2018 09:42 PM

Forgot to mention, fewer amps is also easier on your solenoid and FNR, and as you mentioned, you've burned through three of those and one controller.

Have no fear. You've come to the right place.

Ransom276 11-25-2018 10:20 PM

It’s a white Rogers type 586-117111. Its a fat round solenoid that goes on the oldest ezgo carts. I had read up and also talked to local ezgo dealer and he said that it would be heavy duty for what I had. The F/R switch is a factory ezgo replacement from same dealer. The ones I ordered before where the heavy duty ones and also harder to move them. It seems to be holding up better than the heavy duty ones I had previously used.

yurtle 11-25-2018 10:31 PM

Final question. Are all of your cables upgraded to 4 AWG or just the battery interconnects?

Ransom276 11-25-2018 10:41 PM

Yes sir I upgraded all wires last week to 4awg welding wire. From motor to controller and F/R switch. I feel like my controller is my issue. I guess what I’m trying to figure out is will a high amp controller resolve my problem or do I need to look at going to complete stock motor and just be slow. I love the speed it gives me put it has no torque whatsoever. Will a bigger controller give me any more torque? Thank you for helping this far!