Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   There re no dumb questions...except this one (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=149609)

UGA_FAN 01-23-2019 12:12 PM

There re no dumb questions...except this one

I tried to search for the answer before posting a question, but I didn't find an answer. When upgrading cables, do the cables connecting the controller to the motor, the controller to the F&R switch, and the motor to the F&R switch need to be changed?

dundeebarnbuggy 01-23-2019 12:25 PM

Re: There re no dumb questions...except this one

Yes, the same current goes through all of them.

Sergio 01-23-2019 12:45 PM

Technically only when 100% throttle does the same current goes through all of the high current cables.:-P

At partial throttle the current on the Motor loop (B+ to M-) is higher than on the battery loop, Ie at 50% throttle there is almost twice the current on the motor loop than the battery loop as the motor acts as a current source when the PWM is off.

Since we all like to drive at 100% throttle all cables need to be upgraded :thumbup:

NoleFan4Ever 01-23-2019 12:54 PM

The only exception is when someone is upgrading a Sepex cart. The Motor/Controller cables for F1/F2 are not carrying a heavy load and the stock cables perform fine. I do change most of mine to #6 but that is more so to match the others I am replacing and to be honest, as a Garnet and Gold Certified 'Nole, the stock Orange and Blue cables make me sick...:oops:

UGA_FAN 01-23-2019 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info. Figured that would be the answer, but wanted to check. Forgot to mention that this is a '96 48v Series cart.

Hunter450 01-23-2019 01:42 PM

Red and Black cables throughout my cart worked for me, no orange on my cart!

DaveTM 01-23-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1580624)

Since we all like to drive at 100% throttle all cables need to be upgraded :thumbup:

Well now see there Sergio!! When you make a blanket statement someone will point out the tiny exception to it.

On my cart....used 99% for hunting....I very rarely drive at 100%. First of all....because I'm disabled....the cart is my "legs" and generally I just sneak along....as much as you can sneak with a cart!! :lhmo:

The "looking for game" aspect is one item....and the second just as important to my kidneys is......I'm usually on a rough path\surface and I would surely (don't call me Shirley) lose one of my kidney's or at a minimum.....my teeth!! :shock::shock::lhmo:

But.....I absolutely agree to upgrade all cables to the same size.....and heavy is good!!!

Derekj 01-23-2019 06:16 PM

Funny I was going to ask as ever question when I got on ,and saw this

TahoeDawgZ71 01-24-2019 03:32 PM

UGA_FAN,

As mentioned above, I think you should go with Red & Black cables throughout. Not that I'm partial to those colors or anything.....

Go Dawgs!

NoleFan4Ever 01-24-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 1581168)
UGA_FAN,

As mentioned above, I think you should go with Red & Black cables throughout. Not that I'm partial to those colors or anything.....

Go Dawgs!

Lol! Or Garnet and Gold! :thumbup: