Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Trouble bleeding front disc brake kit (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=66212)

gallcorn 06-24-2012 12:40 PM

Trouble bleeding front disc brake kit

I just added a front disc brake kit to my Stealth 64V Commander, since it didnt come with brakes from the factory and no way to stop it going down a hill!

After spending two days modifying struts, new rotors etc so that the kit I had would fit (Jakes kit) I cant seem to get all of the air out of the right side of the system. Ive tried using a large animal syringe with a hose attached to bleeder screw and pulling fluid thru with reservoir open (over a bottle of fluid) but air bubbles keep coming out. Left side is solid fluid doing the same thing. I have teflon tape around threads of bleeder. Does anyone have a fix or suggestion on what to try next?

Hoof Hearted 06-24-2012 01:19 PM

Re: Trouble bleeding front disc brake kit

Double check that your banjos and bolts are tight and that there are copper washers on both sides of the banjo, any air leak will cause this to happen.

shadowman 06-24-2012 03:27 PM

can you just let it gravity bleed? just open bleeder and leave it be for awhile if it bleeds that way it will get any air out..............................8)

gallcorn 06-24-2012 03:39 PM

Hoof Hearted,
I assume I have them tight enough, because there is not a fluid leak around them. There is copper washers on both sides. Thanks

I have the bleeders open to a small drip and will let it go like that for an hour or so.

shadowman 06-24-2012 03:44 PM

open bleeder all the way.......................................8)

hanny 06-24-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowman (Post 741671)
can you just let it gravity bleed? just open bleeder and leave it be for awhile if it bleeds that way it will get any air out..............................8)

:thumbup::thumbup: i agree, also while its bleeding out ttap on the lines calipers and wiggle hoses to get all air out of weird spots

gallcorn 06-24-2012 04:35 PM

I think all the air is out now, I can put the hose and syringe on bleeder and pull solid fluid, but calipers still only barely move when brake is pushed. Really soft pedal.

gallcorn 06-24-2012 06:48 PM

Finally, success!!! After two days of bleeding and bleeding and bleeding, I was finally able to get all the air out. Still wasnt working, so I adjusted the master cylinder linkage to allow the piston to come all the way and out, and that did the trick! First test moderate brakes, but were working, then all of the sudden, no brakes at all! Had to hit reverse to keep from hitting fence. Bled the brakes manually one more time, a little air came out, then test rode again. Brakes will lock the tires now! Thanks for the help! Now I need to find some heavy duty brake pads for the rear mechanical disc that wore out within one month. I think they are an Ausco setup....