Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Body and Paint (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Sealer Neccessary??? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=18240)

Mtbr41 06-11-2009 11:43 PM

Sealer Neccessary???

I am thinking about painting my cart, it is plastic, no scratches etc. It will be flat black, I already have a gallon, of AUTO Paint Pro paint, just wondering if I need a sealer for the plastic?I am thinking about 2-3 coats of primer, followed by 3-4 coats of black....I want it to look good, but sealer is freakin expensive.

Another question...should I wet sand between primer coats and black coats, or just sand/scuff?

Also, what is the purpose of wet sanding?

Thanks, and just in advance I have been reading other posts but there are many different answers...

tonyton 06-12-2009 07:38 PM

Re: Sealer Neccessary???

2 Attachment(s)
FLAT black?? A gallon?
That's enough paint for eight carts:shock:

I'm not a painter, but I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express....:lol::lhmo::lhmo:
If your cart has no scratches, sand it with 600 grit and spray it. Check with a paint store for an additive (flex agent) so the paint won't chip. They also have adhesives that helps paint stick to plastic.:thumbup:
Flat black will show few blemishes and with a gallon you could touch it up all you need! You don't even need to make it flow for a gloss.:lol::lhmo:

Seriously, wait for a real reply. This cart was sprayed with rattle cans. No clear coat, no wax, nothing. Scuff and squirt. Good Luck!

groundpounder 06-12-2009 07:45 PM

you don't need any sealer. you should be fine with the system your going to use. just make sure you use adhesion promoter.

Mtbr41 06-12-2009 07:45 PM

LOL, yeah got it for 20 bucks because the can was dented......

Anyone else..????(no offense tonyton)lol

Mtbr41 06-12-2009 08:37 PM

Cool, 2 things....is there a specific name for the anti chip hardener??Also the adhesion additive, ie any brand I should look for?

groundpounder 06-12-2009 08:51 PM

i think some of the guys in here are using the stuff that comes in the spray can. think its called bulldog or something like that? i use PPG automotive base coat and clear coat paint system on all my carts. so i use the PPG promoter that i spray on with my gravity feed paint gun.

tonyton 06-12-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mtbr41 (Post 217751)
LOL, yeah got it for 20 bucks because the can was dented......

Anyone else..????(no offense tonyton)lol

No offense taken.:thumbup::lol: I was trying to get their attention for you.:thumbup::lhmo::lhmo: I'm not a painter!:lhmo:

Mtbr41 06-12-2009 09:26 PM

LOL, cmon guys pitch in your expertise:help::thumbup:

DEADEYE58 06-17-2009 07:10 AM

PPG bace coat clear coat wet sand buff

Mtbr41 06-17-2009 09:37 AM

Is base coat the same as primer?