Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   All things Lithium (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Drop in Lithium to Replace FLA in Cart & Boat (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=154998)

Hunter450 07-12-2019 10:01 AM

Drop in Lithium to Replace FLA in Cart & Boat

My 48 volt cart and boat will both be needing batteries so I'm considering going with a single set of (4 )12V drop-in lithium batteries to use in both. My cart is only used during hunting season and the boat is used outside of the hunting season so it's not an issue to transfer the set from one to the other. I'm thinking 100AH batteries will work but I'm not sure of what the amp draw is on my Admiral MOT-A4 motor is but I seldom push the cart above half throttle and cruise trails around 10mph. Each battery will have it's own BMS and I'll get a 4-bank 12 volt lithium charger and make it portable.

I know the majority of this forum centers around DIY lithium builds but if this would work, it would be the best of both worlds for me on land or sea.

I would love to see some comments/questions/observation from the lithium group.

Thanks in advance!

cricketo 07-12-2019 11:27 PM

Re: Drop in Lithium to Replace FLA in Cart & Boat

Quote:

I'm not sure of what the amp draw is on my Admiral MOT-A4 motor

Up to 110A continuous, and about 200A peak.

https://nebula.wsimg.com/6eb84260f9c...&alloworigin=1

DaveTM 07-13-2019 05:04 AM

Going to a 100AH battery....running your boat you may get about 1 hour of constant run time? Doesn't seem like enough to me.....but depends upon the pond size!!!

Hunter450 07-13-2019 06:38 AM

[QUOTE=Up to 110A continuous, and about 200A peak.

Thanks for sharing the Red Hawk chart Cricket, good info. The specs on the lithium battery I'm considering has a maximum continuous discharge current limitation of 100A and a peak discharge current of 350A for 3 sec. If I 'm understanding battery wiring correctly then batteries wired in series will be limited to the characteristics of one battery. So, on the surface with my cart and my driving habits, these batteries should be OK.

Hunter450 07-13-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTM (Post 1635018)
Going to a 100AH battery....running your boat you may get about 1 hour of constant run time? Doesn't seem like enough to me.....but depends upon the pond size!!!

Dave, good observation as usual. I should have provided a little more detail about the boat. It's an old bass boat with a 150hp outboard and a 24 volt trolling motor. My thinking is when I put the 4 lithium's in my boat, 2 of the batteries would be wired in series to power the 24 volt trolling motor and the other 2 batteries would be wired in parallel for 12 volts for starting outboard and running accessories.

cricketo 07-13-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter450 (Post 1635029)
My thinking is when I put the 4 lithium's in my boat, 2 of the batteries would be wired in series to power the 24 volt trolling motor and the other 2 batteries would be wired in parallel for 12 volts for starting outboard and running accessories.

Probably not a good idea. You'll get those batteries to degrade at different rates, then when you put them all back in series the weaker ones will be cutting out sooner while the rest will of the string is still strong.

Hunter450 07-13-2019 12:54 PM

I typically only use my boat on 2 fishing trips a year, March & May and both trips consist of 4 days on the water and batteries are fully charged after each day. I will alter the batteries between the two trips, the two I use for trolling in March, will be used for cranking and accessories in May .The other 357 days of the year the batteries will be in the cart as a series pack. This is the primary driver for the dual use.

I very much appreciate the comments.

ThreeCW 07-14-2019 12:12 AM

Not sure what kind of cranking amps a 150 hp outboard draws but you might want to confirm that the cranking amp requirements match the capacity of your proposed lithium batteries. Does that "old bass boat" start up in under 3 seconds or it a 15 second starter?

You would hate to "suck the guts" out of your lithium golf cart batteries by using them as starter batteries ... I am not sure if they are really designed for that.

You might want to consider using a single $100 lead acid "starter" battery for your outboard and use the expensive 4 lithium battery set up for both the accessories and 24 volt trolling motor. That might be a safer combination.

Good idea to use a shared lithium pack for both your cart and boat :thumbup:

Hunter450 07-14-2019 06:44 AM

Not sure what kind of cranking amps a 150 hp outboard draws but you might want to confirm that the cranking amp requirements match the capacity of your proposed lithium batteries. Does that "old bass boat" start up in under 3 seconds or it a 15 second starter?

You would hate to "suck the guts" out of your lithium golf cart batteries by using them as starter batteries ... I am not sure if they are really designed for that.

Yeah, my old motor takes about 5 secs to crank after the long winter. A day or two before the fishing trips, I'll start and run the outboard at the house. Usually, just a bump of the key and she fires off.

The bass fishing market is pushing the lithium drop replacements and some of those guys (pro's-semi pro's) have been running lithium's in their boats for over five years and just praise how they perform. The 125AH battery seems to be the choice for cranking 250hp motors so I'm pretty confident the 2-100AH batteries wired in parallel will spin my 150.

Another neat aspect is each battery has it's own BMS and is Bluetooth capable. Just download the app to your phone and you can monitor in real time the actual condition of each battery.

ThreeCW 07-14-2019 10:16 AM

Are the lithium batteries used as marine starter batteries of the same construction as the ones being used in golf cart applications? When I was shopping lithium batteries I seem to recall that entry level lithium’s had maximum continuous discharge rates of 1C and the more premium had up to 3C (e.g. for a 100 amp hr battery, 100 amps and 300 amps respectively). Some batteries were even “claiming” higher rates.

What make and model of lithium’s are you considering? As you know, they are a big expense and it might be worth triple checking that these are the best for your dual purpose application.