Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Big Block Talk! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   considering an engine swap (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=2549)

ViperTom 11-27-2007 11:31 AM

considering an engine swap

I can get a Vanguard 16 hp V-twin off a generator for $50 from a guy I work with (yes, it runs!) and I'm thinking about putting it in my 93' Club Car. The engine has a 1" keyed shaft so I'm thinking it should work with the right clutches and etc. Would a 16 hp engine we worth the effort? What all is involved with the swap other than new clutches? I'm looking to see what I would be getting into if I decide to do this.

Thanks,
Tom

azboo 11-27-2007 11:34 AM

Re: considering an engine swap

I have a 16 hp V-twin Kawasaki in my Club Car and I'm very happy with it. It pushes 40 mph on the pavement and gets around the sand dunes very well too. The cart is lifted with offroad tires. I'm using the stock CC clutch at the moment.

Boo

Yamaha4life 11-27-2007 02:33 PM

I have an 11hp horsepower gx340 and its a big power difference over a stock engine. Im sure that a 16hp will really give a big boost. You will have to fab alot to get it to work right, but it will be worth it! :thumbup:8)

TheNewGuy 11-27-2007 02:56 PM

V-Twins are awesome!!!!

Xtreme Cartz 11-27-2007 03:46 PM

ViperTom, sounds like a great deal to me!! :thumbup: Only thing you need to watch out for is the shaft, most generators are tapered and it is difficult to find a clutch that fits. But that engine having the 1" straight shaft will work.
You should also notice a BIG improvement in performance with that engine. Nothing beats the power, sound and durability of a V-twin. 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaha4life (Post 39269)
I have an 11hp horsepower gx340 and its a big power difference over a stock engine. Im sure that a 16hp will really give a big boost. You will have to fab alot to get it to work right, but it will be worth it! :thumbup:8)

Does that engine happen to look like this? If so how do you like it? I have been wanting to try this engine in a cart ever since I saw it.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...s/ZX340EL1.jpg

Yamaha4life 11-27-2007 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz (Post 39295)
ViperTom, sounds like a great deal to me!! :thumbup: Only thing you need to watch out for is the shaft, most generators are tapered and it is difficult to find a clutch that fits. But that engine having the 1" straight shaft will work.
You should also notice a BIG improvement in performance with that engine. Nothing beats the power, sound and durability of a V-twin. 8)

Does that engine happen to look like this? If so how do you like it? I have been wanting to try this engine in a cart ever since I saw it.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...s/ZX340EL1.jpg

No this is mine...

ViperTom 11-27-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaha4life (Post 39269)

Other than making motor mounts what needs to be fabricated?

Thanks,
Tom

NO NO NO E-Z-GO! 11-27-2007 11:02 PM

You'll need a wider mounting plate for a Honda engine in the Club Cars. If you get a Big Block kit from Cart Parts Plus, you can use the factory one. :wink:

I had a 13hp "Honda" in my cart. It sucked horribly. Go for the Briggs & Stratton. :thumbup: :twisted:

Yamaha4life 11-28-2007 07:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperTom (Post 39420)
Other than making motor mounts what needs to be fabricated?

Thanks,
Tom

I fabbed up some mounts out of angle iron. The real trick to it is finding the correct belt size. You can have a really good engine and get 3/4 inch off on the belt size and it would run horribly. I really lucked out and the 2nd belt I tried worked good. If you look at the 3rd picture over basically what I did was cut two peices of angle iron both congruent to each other. I bolted them to the frame. I used a mount that has I shaped mounting holes on the engine plate. This way you can adjust the engine front-back and left-right incase something is out of line when you bolt it in. It was very easy for me to install it took about 2 afternoons. You have to know what your doing and have the ability to fabricate if your going to mount it without a kit. I hope I helped and not confused:lol:.I kind of typed alot.:shock:

Here are some more pictures of my set up...

ViperTom 11-29-2007 03:49 PM

Thanks,

So other than fabing some mounts, figuring out a throttle cable and a little electrical it looks to be fairly straight forward.

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaha4life (Post 39557)
I fabbed up some mounts out of angle iron. The real trick to it is finding the correct belt size. You can have a really good engine and get 3/4 inch off on the belt size and it would run horribly. I really lucked out and the 2nd belt I tried worked good. If you look at the 3rd picture over basically what I did was cut two peices of angle iron both congruent to each other. I bolted them to the frame. I used a mount that has I shaped mounting holes on the engine plate. This way you can adjust the engine front-back and left-right incase something is out of line when you bolt it in. It was very easy for me to install it took about 2 afternoons. You have to know what your doing and have the ability to fabricate if your going to mount it without a kit. I hope I helped and not confused:lol:.I kind of typed alot.:shock:

Here are some more pictures of my set up...