Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   offered great deal on cart, do i take it?? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=9042)

full foot notch 10-07-2008 03:23 PM

offered great deal on cart, do i take it??

Hey guys, new one here. I found this site while looking for a new project to work on, a lifted golf cart. Locally ive seen some lifted golf carts that look nice. Well locally I cannot find anything that is even close to what I want to do, so im wanting to build my own.

So thru the local university im at, im in the Student of Automotive Engineers club and one of the people in there apparently has a golf cart with a motorcycle engine in it. But, im not wanting to do a motorcycle engine setup.

Apparently it is an ez go from the mid 90s, it’s got the wide center light in the front of it, and this one is a 4 front 2 back 6 seater golf cart. The seats seem in good condition except for a dirt layer since this thing has been stored in a shed overhang here in FL.

They also apparently took one of the old baja competition cars and put the front suspension and rear suspension on this golf cart, so the front factory stuff no longer exists and the rear is a 2 link coil over conversion.

So here where the kicker comes in, he is willing to sell it to me for $300 for the rolling chassis setup, motor included. Now to me that price is pretty **** good. I was figuring on taking the motor out of the golf cart, and selling it and probably breaking even (it’s a 70s Kawasaki motor). and then 4 linking it and lifting it. My budget before tires and wheels is $1k including initial purchase. That means buying the cart and lifting it, pulling and selling the current motor is no problem as it is not fully installed currently (still needs wiring and radiator setup and chain and clutch and brake setup.

My only concerns that if I buy this setup, is what do I do about steering since the original steering setup is gone except for the steering column and wheel. And what do I do for a motor setup since it does not have the original motor cradle.

what would you do if you were in my shoes

thanks

Rodger's Rides 10-07-2008 03:33 PM

Re: offered great deal on cart, do i take it??

Is there a chance that you could get some pics of it for us to look at? If so, be sure to get around the steering area so the experts here can give you an idea of what you will have to do to get it working again.

SP-Electronics 10-07-2008 05:43 PM

Why get rid of the engine it has? You wanting to go electric, or you have another motor in mind?

I think it sounds like a very reasonable price for a 6 seater. In fact if it were near me I'd be ALL OVER IT if you didn't want it. :)

Like Rodger said, try to get some pictures, and someone will be able to help sort out the steering, etc.. I'd say that if you're doing a custom lift and stuff on it anyway, fabricating something for steering should be simple enough. Find a rack and pinion setup and fab up some mounts and make it work to fit your suspension/lift components.

ruredy 10-07-2008 08:20 PM

Is it a model where the front seat is over the front wheels or where you and your legs would be behind the front wheels when sitting in the drivers seat?

full foot notch 10-07-2008 08:59 PM

no, it seems that the front wheels are in a normal setup like a conventional golf cart, not like a "cabover" wheel setup, the guy said mid 90s ezgo, i could not find a plate that said the year, but it said cargo capacity was 1k, and i noticed a light about a foot long in the center in the front, if that can help identify what it may be. it was originally gas

full foot notch 10-07-2008 09:51 PM

ok, i did some searching on here and came up with a link, and from the physical look of it, it is a "E-Z-GO Medalist and TXT models (1994 to Present)" and then i stumbled upon this.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...limo-cart.html , it looks like that, but better condition looks wise, and the center light.

SP-Electronics 10-07-2008 10:20 PM

and you hesitate to buy it? Get on it! :)

EZ-GOnewild 10-08-2008 07:12 AM

Jump on that deal! You can find anything you need to replace the stock steering setup.

If you don't use the engine it comes with you can go back stock. The missing cradle can be found too.

You could also put a Big Block in it. I think Cart Parts Pluses kits come with everything you will need.

full foot notch 10-08-2008 10:51 PM

pending a daylight frame inspection soon, i will be buying it.... and then the fun of figuring out how to 4 link and raise to the sky ;) . just found a 16 hp vanguard for dirt cheap here locally

richie 10-09-2008 04:11 AM

Where are you in Florida or is just the cart in Florida.Never know,could be close to each other.Sounds like a great project.I'd be all over it if it were me:thumbup: