Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G2 rear clutch shaft worn? Help! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=101652)

LoudLowNslow 12-25-2014 10:25 AM

G2 rear clutch shaft worn? Help!

What's up everybody! I've got an issue with my brothers g2 I need some help on.

Cart is a gas g2 all stock. The clutch on the rear end was making all sorts of noise for a while, so he had it replaced with a new one. Less than 1 month later and the new clutch is making even worse noise. The guy who replaced it took it back apart and said the shaft the clutch sits on it's grooved/worn which is why the clutches are failing.

Should I look for a rear end for the cart? How hard of a job is it to replace that shaft if at all possible?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

slonomo 12-25-2014 10:03 PM

Re: G2 rear clutch shaft worn? Help!

You can replace the shaft and bearings, but you'll have to remove the transaxle and disassemble it. Not an easy task if you've never done that kind of work before. If you aren't afraid of it, go for it. Don't order the new parts until you are sure what failed and that you can do the work. If it's bad, you can't really ruin it any worse than it is right? A good used transaxle will run you $200-$400 depending upon condition. If you can find one at a reasonable cost, it would be easier to remove and replace the whole unit, rather taking one apart for repair.

sho305 12-26-2014 08:38 PM

Make sure the clutch is not riding into the trans case because the c clip failed. A clip holds it from hitting the case. You can get a spacer to go on it that sits in the splines and will not fail.

I'd take the clutch off and inspect the shaft. Since the shaft is steel and the clutch parts aluminum I'm not sure how they could harm the hardened shaft, but wear is possible as is bearing failure inside on the shaft. Should be able to see what is going on with the clutch off.

I've not seen one fail, maybe others here have.

Dave in VA 12-27-2014 07:14 AM

FAIL

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...pse9118e21.jpg

smokindawg 12-27-2014 11:57 AM

Dave, that ones definitely a fail. :cry:

cgtech 12-27-2014 01:33 PM

Yeah, but Dave has the dana axle, which i have had to do repairs on every single part of over the years. The G2 axle referred to in this thread is the Yamaha built axle, which i have only ever needed to do minimal repairs on over the years (i also have a G2 & G9). While i have never seen a snapped input shaft on either model, in my experience the Yamaha built axle has been a bit more durable over the "long haul", and i have never had to "split the case" on the yamaha built axle. I have seen the sliding sheave area on the input shaft worn some on both models of axle. The only time i have seen wear bad enough to require input shaft replacement involved a sliding sheave that was so far beyond "worn out" that the brass bushing did not even exist anymore (this particular example was bad neglect, NOT normal wear & tear, when your clutch sounds like a blender full of rocks & the cart wont do 2 mph).

gray horse 12-30-2014 07:22 AM

The first G2 rearend that I put in my G1 tore the sliding sheave up due to a worn input shaft. Probably due to years of neglect. After checking out the price of a new input shaft I went and bought another rearend. Cost was about the same.