Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   g16 runs good cold but not when hot (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=60944)

PcolaKB 03-03-2012 09:10 PM

g16 runs good cold but not when hot

Changed the fuel lines, cleaned tank, cleaned carb, new fuel filter,new plug, new oil (1qt).
It runs great cold and as long as you keep going it's fine but if you stop after it gets hot it is almost impossible to get cranked. Then if it cranks it will run good again.
I used 1/4" on all the fuel lines and vacuum lines because that's what was on it. Went back with good clamps.
Can someone point me in the right direction? Tried the search but didn't see anything.
Thanks!

pachanga90 03-03-2012 09:25 PM

Re: g16 runs good cold but not when hot

You said,"If it cranks",Do you mean that you hit the pedal and it just clicks and the engine does not spin?If so,I'd say the starter-solenoid is on its' way out,or you have a wiring problem.There are a couple of grounds that go from the engine to battery,and also from engine to electrical-box on the left-side.My wifes' G16 had a intermittent start problem,and the ground from the electric-panel to the harness was bad.I ran a new ground,problem solved.Look in the Gas Yamaha stickies for a diagram and follow the wires.Hope this helps.:thumbup:

PcolaKB 03-03-2012 10:32 PM

It spins good but acts like its not getting fuel. I wonder if the Vacuum hose on the crankcase end is leaking after it heats up? If I keep spinning it eventually it will fire back up sometimes. Maybe the fuel pump diaphragm gets just enough friction to warm it up and cause an issue. Something to do with heat.

pachanga90 03-04-2012 01:32 AM

The Ignition-box may be on its' way out.My Dad has a G8 that would run fine,half-hour later it wouldn't start.If you know someone with the same cart,swap the ignition-boxes and see if the problem stops.:thumbup:

sho305 03-05-2012 03:21 PM

Are you sure the fins on the cylinder/head are clean, if they get plugged with dirt it will overheat. I would check the spark when it does it, could be a coil going bad or ignition part.

PcolaKB 03-05-2012 08:31 PM

Ran it yesterday with no problem. Ran again today no problem. After reading the post about batteries I think maybe running it more is keeping the battery charged. Probably needs a battery anyway.
Thanks for the replies!

sho305 03-05-2012 10:31 PM

My battery is toast, last time I ran it in the fall I put a jumper box on the battery tray and off I went. I'll be getting a new one this spring. But it will run fine even without enough power to start.