Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   '88 with 2pg gets real hot (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=149819)

murky3457 01-31-2019 10:38 AM

'88 with 2pg gets real hot

Not for sure if normal or not. Cart is all stock with exception of new top end and carb. The exhaust gets so hot through the seat after say 5 to 10 minutes of running that its uncomfortable. Also, even when hot i have to choke it to get it cranked usually. Do these engines usually run this hot? Or have i got a fuel/air problem? i'm running the required amount of oil to gas ratio. actually i'm a little rich since its a new top end. Any help appreciated.

CP241 01-31-2019 10:46 AM

Re: '88 with 2pg gets real hot

if it's getting that hot it sounds like it's running wicked lean to me. I'll assume you installed a new spark plug when you rebuilt the top end. pull the plug and check it's condition before driving it much more. spark plugs don't lie.

StoveBolt 01-31-2019 11:27 AM

hmm, heated seat would be a good thing here today.

Dabble Inn 01-31-2019 12:03 PM

Lean is probably the answer, Especially since ya have to choke it at every start....

It could be sucking air through one of the gaskets between carb and cylinder;
Two Carb gaskets
Two reed valve gaskets

Maybe even the crank seals or Base or Head gasket

Were these all replaced with the new top end? Also way advanced timing will make it run hotter too.....

I gotta ask the dumb question; Are the fan and shrouds in place? All blades intact and free of debris?

Good Luck

MICKEYMOTORMOUNT 01-31-2019 02:06 PM

How about your timing? Are the timing plate screws centered in the slot?

Have to agree with CP241 and Dabble. Sounds like it's running lean. What kind of carb did you install? If it's cheap knock off, maybe there is a partial clog or
bad casting somewhere inside the carb.

murky3457 02-01-2019 09:39 AM

Thanks guys. yeah everything you said makes sense. i'm gonna take the carb back off, clean, check gaskets, change fuel filters and check the timing.

Dabble Inn 02-04-2019 05:47 PM

An easy way to check gaskets for sucking air is shoot them with starting fluid while it's running, IF it gains rpm then it leaks

murky3457 02-06-2019 01:49 PM

took the top end off and as i expected i'd melted the rings. got a new top end i'm going to throw together this afternoon hopefully. i've taken the carb back off and cleaned/checked jets. I only had one gasket between the carb and intake. i'm going to make a slightly thicker gasket than stock and reinstall. i will also replace fuel to me certain i have 3oz oil to 1 gallon gas. if it cranks and runs i'll do spray with starting fluid and see what the results are. I typically use just a little high temp rtv along with the gasket when i install the cylinder and head. i haven't checked timing because when it ran it ran about the same in reverse and forward along with i just don't want to mess with pulling fan just yet.

CP241 02-06-2019 05:49 PM

I dont know for certain, but I believe most folks use 128:1 mix, so would be 1 oz per gallon of gas.

Remember, the more oil you add, the cleaner it is going to be. Oil is not combustible like gasoline so more oil actually = more lean mix.

cart around 02-07-2019 06:41 AM

40:1 mix first tank after rebuild.