Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   when does the lite come on 2002 Ds (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=88583)

bsa_bob 12-09-2013 01:30 PM

when does the lite come on 2002 Ds

CURIOUS ABOUT WHEN ...AND IF THIS LITE WILL COME ON. its right above the steering column ..only lite on the dash factory lite also it has something to do with the batts ...am i right??please let me in on it bob s

scottyb 12-09-2013 01:49 PM

Re: when does the lite come on 2002 Ds

The orange lite comes on when u are currently damaging your batteries by drawing them down WAY below acceptable levels and it comes on (flashes) if the charge cycle is interrupted. With any luck, you should never see it on.

jakesnake27 12-09-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 964345)
The orange lite comes on when u are currently damaging your batteries by drawing them down WAY below acceptable levels and it comes on (flashes) if the charge cycle is interrupted. With any luck, you should never see it on.

I agree, I think it comes on when the pack hits 25% SOC. It is connected to the OBC.
You should try to never run your pack below 50%...

yetti96 12-16-2013 02:34 PM

I accidentally ran my pack way way too low last week and the light never came on, and it should have. Something happened and the cart was used for a few days, every day and got plugged in but the cart never charged (not the point of this post). We were out for a ride, went to the dog park (with the dogs) and were going to go to the end of the neighborhood. We got about 1/2 the way to our turn-around and I thought the cart was feeling lethargic and the lights dimmed a bit when the accelerator was pressed. Thinking I was crazy we pushed on. Once my wife confirmed I wasn't crazy we were now 4 miles from home. No way to get back other than to drive and see how it goes. I know the 50% rule and had a range calculated that I could drive but I had also assumed the past 3 days of trips around town were followed up with a healthy recharge.

Sounds like I need to get a battery meter and wait to leave the garage, so that I can hear the charger kick on.

But moral of the story the cart barely made it back (I got off with the dogs and the wife drove back, less weight) and the light never came on even though I basically killed the batteries.

jjance 12-16-2013 06:35 PM

I think this light is the original idiot light. The one all others are named after. When driving you can't even see the light. It's hidden by the steering column. At least on the 2010 Precedent. And if the charge is interrupted unless your looking right at the light you will never know. Of course this is my opinion yours may vary.

Sergio 12-16-2013 06:53 PM

I know you said "not the point of this post", but it could be related since the OBC controls both the charge and it turns the warning light on when it thinks the battery charge is near depleted.
If you have not by-passed the OBC or done any other wiring modifications, It may be a good idea to do a reset of the OBC so it learns your pack charge again. Of course it may just be a bad warning light....

RPatten 12-16-2013 08:27 PM

My kids ran my old batteries way down. The cart could not move. The light never came on. Come to find out when a buddy and I were installing Scotty's meter that the light was disconnected. It has since come on once when I initially when I started to charge the new batteries.

yetti96 12-25-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 966510)
I know you said "not the point of this post", but it could be related since the OBC controls both the charge and it turns the warning light on when it thinks the battery charge is near depleted.
If you have not by-passed the OBC or done any other wiring modifications, It may be a good idea to do a reset of the OBC so it learns your pack charge again. Of course it may just be a bad warning light....

Not to totally threadjack but since i have the speedcode 5, should I go back to the stock program before attempting the OBC reset?

mrgolf 12-25-2013 08:31 AM

I don't think the, controller has anything to do with the O B C. I maybe wrong.

Sergio 12-25-2013 08:24 PM

The only relation the controller has with the OBC as far as resetting it is concerned is that the Controller capacitors will back feed the OBC when you disconnect the battery pack.
The OBC reset instructions in the sticky don't apply directly for carts where the buzzer is fed by the controller instead of the FNR switch.
You will not hear the buzzer.
The safest thing to do is to leave the battery pack disconnected long enough for the capacitors to fully discharge into the carts circuit. I think the manual says 5 minutes, just do 10 minutes to be safe.
The controller memory is non-volatile so You will not loose any of the programming.