Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club car Motor and amp controller upgrade (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=54452)

Clubcar02 09-16-2011 02:11 PM

Club car Motor and amp controller upgrade

I have a 2002 48 volt club car with a club car 3.10 hp special service motor and a 400 amp controller... I would like to upgrade to a bigger motor to increase speed and torque... I definitely don't want to sacrifice any torque for speed though... I drive on hilly land and would love to go up hill a little faster and gain speed on flat ground a few mph... Right now it runs around 12 mph on flat ground... Would be nice to gain 5 mph + on flat ground... Could i upgrade motor without upgrading amp controller and get what I'm looking for? If so would it affect my battery life in any way?

ForBruce 09-16-2011 02:28 PM

Re: Club car Motor and amp controller upgrade

the stock controller for a 2005 club car ( yes you have a 2002 ) is 250 amp....question have you already changed the controller.

second 12 mph seems a bit slow..... is your speed sensor working. when you roll the cart without gas on a hill did it BEEP indicating you are rolling....if it does the speed sensor is working...if not your speed sensor need replacing and that alone will make the cart faster ....

need more info on your cart :

1 how many batteries and how old
2 what size wires
3 actual amp size of controller
4 model of club car "DS ....precident etc"
5 model # of motor.....

Clubcar02 09-16-2011 04:14 PM

I bought cart used and it had be updated with a lift kit and bigger tires so I'm don't know what all was upgrade or changed before I got it... It was originally a golf course cart... I was unaware that cart even had a speed sensor and have never heard it beep before... Not even when put in reverse... Cart was used for hunting so I figured beeps and rings were disabled... But I will check for beeping when I get home... I will also check speed to make sure I'm correct about that as well...

The best answers to questions:
1.) 6- 8volt batteries about 3yrs. Old...
2.) I don't have a gauge measure but outside insulation of wire in 5/16 inch(.3125 inches)...
3.) I couldn't read amp controller label unless i took it out which i will do when i get a chance if need be but there was a slot cut out in frame where controller is mounted and I can see 400 written in permanent marker on the back of the controller...
4.) according to serial number my model is AA
5.) serial number on motor is 5BC59JBS6360

Clubcar02 09-16-2011 06:26 PM

Just to verify speed I was using my handheld gps which has proven to be accurate with vehicle speedometer... On flat ground I got to right at 12 mph and on a slight incline I was going 6 mph...

Clubcar02 09-16-2011 06:42 PM

And there is no label on amp controller to verify what it is... Besides the 400 written with permanent marker...

Clubcar02 09-16-2011 08:04 PM

After some looking and reading some older posts I believe everything is stock... At least the photo I saw of a 2000 club car that had same motor looked to have the same amp controller and he said his was a 235... And top speed should be about 12 mph... Guessing I would have to upgrade everything instead of just motor... Prob going to be too rich for me...

delagem 09-16-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clubcar02 (Post 622804)
... on a slight incline I was going 6 mph...

Depending upon your definition of "slight", I'd say you need to look at your batteries before anything else.

Clubcar02 09-17-2011 08:32 PM

Put batteries on charge earlier and charger hadn't cut itself off yet but charger was down to a trickle so I figured it was pretty close to full charge... Tested with volt tester while charger was still on and every battery was reading between 9.6 and 9.8 volts... Unplugged charger (before it shut itself off with a full charge) and all batteries were at 9.1 and 9.2 volts...

charlesnbray 07-26-2017 05:01 AM

Just upgrade your controller I talked to D&D motors yesterday I fried my controller by not unhooking the batteries I'm going with the alltrax 500amp controller they claim I should get 24mph with it running 100% but since I don't want to upgrade my motor at this time I'm going to have them turn it down to 80% I'm hoping I get around 20mph. The controller and the hd solenoid are gonna run me 660 which is a lot but I'll be excited to outrun my buddies in the neighborhood.

Muddog 07-26-2017 06:49 AM

You might want to check with Scotty and save some $$$.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-sr-series--.html