Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   coasting backwards while in Forward. now won't go (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171292)

tsmith_co 11-21-2020 03:51 PM

coasting backwards while in Forward. now won't go

ok, so I have a 2001 EZgo Series cart. (upgraded controller, solenoid, etc, upgraded to 48v, kept 36v motor).

My wife just coasted backwards down a hill (about 20 ft) by just giving the cart a little push with her foot. The cart was in the off position, and in Forward. (series motor).

Towards the bottom of the hill, the cart stopped - and her feet didn't touch either peddle - (and again, cart was in off position).

Now, the solenoid will not click, and obviously the cart will not move. I'm about to go out and check voltages, but 2 questions:

1. Coasting in a series cart shouldn't damage anything, correct? Or will it if it's in the opposite direction of the FNR switch? My understanding was that only regen motors generated current when the cart coasted.

2. If not 1, what would cause this? I'm not sure if the brake shoes caught for some strange reason after about 15 revolutions (again, she didn't touch the brakes) or if the motor somehow surged the cart forward because it DID in fact generate a current?

Mooncarter 11-21-2020 04:13 PM

Re: coasting backwards while in Forward. now won't go

Are you saying the cart won't even roll, as in something locked up?

tsmith_co 11-21-2020 04:15 PM

No. It rolls just fine. No lock up.

Just no power. Press peda and the solenoid doesn’t even click.

Mooncarter 11-21-2020 04:19 PM

I think you have a coincidence here. I doubt the rolling backward had anything to do with it (although I can't explain it stopping suddenly). I would start troubleshooting and see why the solenoid is not clicking first thing.

kgsc 11-21-2020 11:05 PM

Did she tell you about the brush pile she ran over going down the hill that grabbed some of the wires under the cart ? :mrgreen: I would check the grey cable coming out of the pedal box with the 4 pin molex plug that is known for issues.

tsmith_co 11-22-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgsc (Post 1783441)
Did she tell you about the brush pile she ran over going down the hill that grabbed some of the wires under the cart ? :mrgreen: I would check the grey cable coming out of the pedal box with the 4 pin molex plug that is known for issues.

Ha! I was right there when it happened, and it was in our yard. Nothing could have touched anything underneath.

Diving into wiring / voltmeter today to see where the hangup is. Molex connector is a prime suspect since I've got no click!

tsmith_co 11-22-2020 05:12 PM

Well. Today it drove just fine. Got it into shop and no go.

It’s the same issue I had about 4 months ago. Pre-charge failure. The controller side of my solenoid again is reading 32-36volts.

Time to replace the solenoid.

tsmith_co 11-22-2020 05:39 PM

Replaced solenoid. Same issue. 38v on the controller side of the solenoid :(

Mooncarter 11-22-2020 06:28 PM

Does this cart have a resistor across the big posts on the solenoid? Is it clicking?

tsmith_co 11-22-2020 06:40 PM

Yes it has a resistor. No, the solenoid is not clicking. I am suspecting the resistor I’m also going to cut the moles connector out and put on blades