Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Jake's G1 '82 newer lift question (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170951)

wchouinard1 11-11-2020 09:58 AM

Jake's G1 '82 newer lift question

Finally working through this install. As noted before, the instructions/pics are pretty poor and not a lot of info online. I've got the front a-arms replaced, new ball joints and steering arms in place. The ball joint seems to be very close to the tire, like 1/8". Since I can't find photos, is this normal or do I need different wheel/tire, etc? 22X11X12. Jake's recc. 22X11X10 wheel but doubt the wheel difference matters. If anyone has links to good pics, let me know. Thanks!

slonomo 11-11-2020 10:16 PM

Re: Jake's G1 '82 newer lift question

As long as the tie rod doesn't rub you should be fine.

mikeasis 11-12-2020 02:00 PM

wheel spacers

laser204 11-21-2020 04:05 PM

I just finished installing my G1 lift and I ran into some issues..
front install went good but the rear not so much. after installing the rear lift kit that backend of the car sits up so high that the clutch bell housing is crashing into the frame, I pull the rear lift kit out and put back to stock, no issues.
so I bought 20x10x12 I know the kit recommends 22x11x10 but rims are not my issue here.
I took the shocks out, put the rear lift back in and cut 2 square tubes at 8" long and that's the max I can lift up the rear sub frame without the bell housing crashing into the frame.
what's the deal with my lift kit, any ideas or anyone run into the same issue?
its the jakes 5" from buggies unlimited

slonomo 11-21-2020 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any pics?

I've used several Jakes kits on different carts, never had a problem. If I'm not mistaken, the Jakes rear setup is just a spacer that bolts to the top shock mounts that extend the top mount lower, in your case 5" lower.

With that said, most of us with the G1 had to dent in our frame. You have to heat up the frame where the clutch makes contact, then use a large sledge hammer and give it a few whacks. Repeat to make a bigger dent.

Some clutches clear, others don't. Usually you have to make the frame modification to clear it.

Btw, probably should start your own thread. We call this "hijacking" lol :lhmo:

wchouinard1 12-10-2020 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You definitely have to indent the frame for the primary clutch bolt to clear. This is harder than it sounds when there's no room to swing hammer, etc. I tried this with shocks unbolted and engine frame as much out of way as possible. Heat, etc didn't work with no room. I ended up cutting a notch out of the frame. Not my favorite method as now I have a hole in frame, but I certainly didn't want to remove the engine. Everything clears well, but I'm gonna add wheel spacers as I've had a lot of trimming to keep the 22X11X12 off the frame on the rear. I think that'll give me a couple more inches for front bumper room hopefully. That's next project to figure out. It's starting to look pretty sweet though

wchouinard1 03-06-2021 12:13 PM

Still doing some trial and error to prevent rubbing. Ended up going to the first hole on front shock mount to gain clearance and quite a bit of trimming for 22” tires which surprised me. However, the front shocks seem to be crap and stick down so I’m in market for new shocks if anyone has suggestions? ‘82 G1

slonomo 03-06-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchouinard1 (Post 1810635)
Still doing some trial and error to prevent rubbing. Ended up going to the first hole on front shock mount to gain clearance and quite a bit of trimming for 22” tires which surprised me. However, the front shocks seem to be crap and stick down so I’m in market for new shocks if anyone has suggestions? ‘82 G1

Stock replacement shocks are available for those. I don't recommend any atv shocks for that, way too much movement/travel. That suspension design wasn't made for any more than 2" of travel. Any more than that and you get major camber issues and the handling really suffers.

wchouinard1 03-06-2021 07:06 PM

Finding the fronts are out of stock everywhere so far

slonomo 03-07-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchouinard1 (Post 1810689)
Finding the fronts are out of stock everywhere so far

Did you check all of our sponsors? Did you call Plowmans?