Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What is this meter telling me exactly (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=76292)

bigsal51 02-19-2013 09:05 PM

What is this meter telling me exactly

1 Attachment(s)
I just got my 2009 ezgo and I don't know what I am dealing with. What is this volt meter telling me? It is connected on the main pack yellow wires is it wired correctly to tell me correct info and how do I read it?

bigsal51 02-19-2013 09:07 PM

Re: What is this meter telling me exactly

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the wiring

bigstik40 02-19-2013 09:57 PM

The meter is an expanded scale 12 volt meter for monitoring voltage of a 12 volt battery. It's pretty hard to follow your wiring, but I would suspect the meter's purpose is to monitor the voltage on your auxiliary 12 volt battery and tip you off when it is time to recharge it. 12.73 volts is full charge and 12.10 volts is 50 % charge. (I would never let it go below 12.40 v.) I think your meter at 10.something is telling you that you have a dead aux. battery! RAY

bigsal51 02-19-2013 10:15 PM

If this meter has no switch will it draw power enough to drain it last night it was 12.4 and its spliced in the top of the big pack not the separate battery

bigsal51 02-19-2013 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I want it to read the full pack how do I wire it

bigstik40 02-19-2013 10:26 PM

I don't think the meter alone would draw enough current to pull the battery down that quickly, IF the meter IS connected across that aux. battery as suspected. You need to examine the wiring more closely to see what you have there. Something else may be draining the battery (I see quite a few other circuits there !!) RAY

bigstik40 02-19-2013 10:34 PM

That is a 12 volt expanded scale meter and can't be wired to measure the full pack. You will need another meter (36 volt), like scottyb's, to monitor the full pack. RAY

bigsal51 02-19-2013 10:43 PM

Where do I get that

bigstik40 02-19-2013 10:55 PM

Here's a link to his meter. His meter seems to be pretty popular here although I don't have firsthand knowledge of it though. Good luck - RAY

http://cartsunlimited.net/Digital_Battery_Meters.html

Gonkulor 02-20-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstik40 (Post 841910)
I don't think the meter alone would draw enough current to pull the battery down that quickly, IF the meter IS connected across that aux. battery as suspected. You need to examine the wiring more closely to see what you have there. Something else may be draining the battery (I see quite a few other circuits there !!) RAY

I'll disagree. Though my experience is a little different. I work on ATR 42/72 aircraft and there are 4 huge ways to drain the batteries. Besides leaving a couple doors open, the most common error people do is leave the voltage rotary switch to show either main or emergency battery power. It seems that leaving the switch to either "Main" or "Emergency" will run either of those batteries down enough so I can't do an engine start. I suspect the reason might be because the rotary selector is pulling a relay that pulls another relay that pulls another relay.

Regardless. A volt meter left on a pack without it being recharged will drain the pack faster than if it didn't have the meter.

I kinda forgot the point of all this after all my rambling.

Good Day.