Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newbie Help Needed (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=4676)

US_Tank 04-29-2008 01:06 AM

Newbie Help Needed

I just bought a 2004 gas Club Car. This is my first golf cart. At the dealer, I asked if the cart could be souped up some so I can have a little more speed and I was told that it could be done. During the test drive I thought that the car was rather slow. The dealer told me that after 18 holes the cart should be fine. I made sure I have fresh gas in the cart and I drove the cart for about 3 miles the past two days.

According to my GPS, my max speed is 10.8 mph. I stressed to the dealer that I wanted a cart that would be able to get up and go a little faster. What should I do here as I have only had this cart for 3 days now? I am dissapointed in the speed. Ideally I would love to have around 20mph.

Thanks for the help.

US_Tank 04-29-2008 01:18 AM

Re: Newbie Help Needed

Sorry, meant to put this in the gas thread.

whitetail436 04-29-2008 08:46 AM

read the sticky on speeding up your club car. just a zip tie on the governor will gain you probably 5 or 6 miles an hour.

jrboatin 04-29-2008 09:43 AM

I have a 07 gas and all I did was adjust the Gov arm on the rear axle. I left the black wire so many people talk about. But did adjust the ARM and I am now getting 20 mph and at times going down hill the Gov will kick in and shut it down for a second then restart. So will that I am happy.

US_Tank 04-29-2008 07:56 PM

Well I instructed the dealer to tune it up to max speed before I bought it. When I went to talk to him today he said to bring it in and he will tune it up. WTF?

I bought this 2004 used and in good shape for $3,600. Is that a fair price? As mentioned I am only getting 10.3 -10.8 mph out of it. I was not happy with the speed upon buying it and the dealer said he would have it taken care of when I picked it up.

I was reading on Club Car's website that these carts starting with the 04's would be able to be tuned to 19mph. Is this true? What can I realistically expect to achieve for speeds with this cart?

I also don't want to do any mods myself as I know nothing about golf carts. Is a $500 gear kit a viable option or should I look at a better fuel pump, K&N filter, etc as mentioned in the sticky posted above?

Thanks for any help!

whitetail436 04-29-2008 08:46 PM

i would recommend talking to tom with cart parts plus for the best options but i would think that machining both of your clutches would be a fairly easy way to get quite a bit more speed out of your cart but make sure and buy a puller for the drive clutch. as i said though talk to tom and he will give you the best advice. he is a super nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Barracudas 04-30-2008 08:06 AM

$3600 for a 2004, not to get of topic here but you got ripped off IMHO. 2003 -2004's that are bone stock with no mods go for $2800 - $3200 in our area. For more speed I suggest to look up the directions for completly getting rid of the governor, then add a K&N filter. That should get you between 20-30 mph. Of course you can always go further and do an upgrade to a larger engine like the big block or an FE350. But that's just my $.02. Personal preference for us is to run our 2001 CC and 2005 CC without the governors, and if we really want to run drive the Yamaha 18hp. By the way be only paid $3400 for our 2005 last summer with all the little goodies.....diamond plate flip flop rear seat, racing wheel, column cover, SS hubcaps, folding windshield, five panel mirror, and full tank of gas so that's why I say you paid too much.

Cuda'

REDDOG68 04-30-2008 11:58 AM

I just bought an 04 gas Club Car for $2100 that came off a golf course lease. It was in good condition and when we used the GPS to measure the speed it went 13 MPH. I just put some zip ties on the spring yesterday and I now have it topping out at 20MPH. I was wondering if someone could tell me if the whole purpose of the zip tie is to get the engine RPM's up to the point of right before the rev limiter kicks in when the gas peddle is down all the way? Also is the rev limiter set at a certain RPM from the factory and by putting the zip tie on the spring am I making the RPM's go higher than recommended?

4x4 CC 04-30-2008 11:26 PM

Rev limiter shuts it down at about 3800 rpms. Always...

REDDOG68 05-01-2008 08:58 PM

Is there any way to adjust the rev limiter to get more rpm's out of your engine, so to around 4500 rpm's?