Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Electrical Short to Chassis (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=127553)

MichiganBob 03-06-2017 10:41 AM

Electrical Short to Chassis

On my 48V 2006 Club car ds there is a constant short somewhere to the chassis of the cart. Doesn't matter if cart is on/off or lights on/off. As I understand it the chassis of the club car should be totally electrically isolated.

I have 46V (45.6 to 46.2V) when I measure from Battery Negative terminal of first 8V battery to chassis. Total voltage of battery pack is 50V.

1. Obviously there is a short somewhere to the chassis that must be found.
2. How can any type of short cause there to be 46V. I could understand 50V but not 46V. One battery down from 50V is measuring around 41V.

Anyway just starting to hunt down this issue and thought I would ask if anyone else has any ideas.

scottyb 03-06-2017 11:36 AM

Re: Electrical Short to Chassis

Often you get this type of voltage with little or no significant amperage, often referred to as ghost voltage from wet or seeping battery cases. Another CC source of unwanted frame voltage is the OEM 16 to 12v voltage reducer.

dundeebarnbuggy 03-06-2017 01:06 PM

Carbon "tracking" in the motor?

Sergio 03-06-2017 01:15 PM

Like scottyb said, I would start with the batteries since that is an easy and needed maintenance item.

Mix 1 cup baking soda to 1 gallon warm/hot water.

Pour that mixture over the batteries and allow it to flow all the way around the sides.

Rinse with a low pressure water source.

Do not do it over your concrete driveway because acid will stain the concrete.

Electrolyte is conductive and it will give You ghost voltage readings.

scottyb 03-06-2017 01:18 PM

And occasionally some shade tree mechanic will ground a set of aftermarket lights to the chassis.:lhmo:

mrgolf 03-06-2017 02:34 PM

If you care to check it out you will likely have voltage from your tires to battery pack.:mrgreen: no joking.

tag50 03-06-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1359448)
And occasionally some shade tree mechanic will ground a set of aftermarket lights to the chassis.:lhmo:

Mine had a horn that was grounded by the horn housing. Had to isolate using a plastic mount. :roll:

MichiganBob 03-06-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgolf (Post 1359482)
If you care to check it out you will likely have voltage from your tires to battery pack.:mrgreen: no joking.

How do you measure voltage from tires to battery pack?

Golferdave 03-06-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1359448)

Or you find a fused wire to chassis ground & 2 batts later a positive to the light Sw.
Was told that was "the norm" years ago

Put batts in an
Old 36 v Yamaha today that has that set up

mrgolf 03-06-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichiganBob (Post 1359617)
How do you measure voltage from tires to battery pack?

One meter probe on tire the other on main positive or negative depending on which one you have on tire.