Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rxv low speed gears (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=80318)

fender6l6 05-18-2013 01:37 PM

Rxv low speed gears

I want a low speed gear set for my 2009 RXV to restore the torque Ive lost after adding 23" tires.Ive contacted every online cart supply looking for one.Heres what I came up with.The RXV electric has a ratio of 16.99 to 1.There are higher speed gears sets out there with ratios starting at 13.6 to 1 and down.Ive spoken with everyone from the folks at Textron to Dana to Apache gears (Apache gears in Arizona manufactures the high speed gear sets sold by Buggies Unlimited).Nobody makes it , with this exception.The Textron family has a division called Jacobsen.Jacobsen makes whats called a greens mower.The "Eclipse 322" is a 48 volt mower with a dana (RXV) style differential with a gear ratio of 19.63 to 1.Perfect for restoring RXV back to original torque specs.Jacobsen only offers that set as a whole axle assembly for $2000.Schaffer manufactures the gears but will not sell to individuals and said I would have to go through Jacobsen.Please help.I need cart to perform like stock with 23" tires.No motor changing or controllers or monster wire changes,only mechanical leverage.

Jerj7907 05-18-2013 02:45 PM

Re: Rxv low speed gears

I have been considering the same thing. My controller is turned all the way up. I am looking around and have seen a site imaginativemfg.com They build 2 speed rear-ends and when I talked to them, probably 1 year ago, they were looking into the RXV lineup for aftermarket upgrades. My thought was to get the 1st speed a low gear ratio for better torque and keep 2nd gear factory or maybe a bit faster but not much. would be the best of both worlds but would require replacing the entire axle so costs will be high.

fender6l6 05-19-2013 09:05 AM

Thanks for that info , Ill try to contact them.The RXV would be perfect with the controller all the way up and torque restored to the same as with the 18" tires.Has your RXV had the 2013 software update?If so did that make any difference?And not to change the subject but do your larger tires have any slight wobble/balance issues?

Jerj7907 05-19-2013 09:30 AM

Yes mine have the latest software update. I don't have a real aggressive tread pattern so my cart rides real nice at higher speeds. Post a response if you do find out information about gearing and no I did not see a big difference with the software update was told it opened the torque a little but I could not feel a difference so the improvement must be minimal. If you do have a wobble I would suggest replacing the bushings in the front end.

fender6l6 06-22-2013 10:02 PM

Update:I have done a good bit of research and Im in the process of replacing my gears on my RXV.The gears Im replacing them with are from a Textron family donor.I will post pics and info when Im through which I hope will be one day next week.

PinballDad 06-23-2013 08:31 AM

Looking forward to the results:)

fender6l6 07-10-2013 09:25 PM

Ok here's what I got.I replaced the stock gears in 2009 EZGO RXV (16.99-1) with a set of gears from a Jacobsen Eclipse 322 48Volt greens mower (19.63-1).The only difference in the gears is double gear that connects the motor shaft gear with the ring gear.The stock gear had 58 teeth and the new gear had 67 teeth.They booth had the same ring gear (large gear) teeth at 116 and the small gear at 22 teeth.The end result was 20 revolutions of the motor spline gear with 1 full revolution of the large ring gear.My research worked.Cart has original torque and speed and at stock program setting.I plan on turning up the programmer to max soon.I contacted an Ebay seller of used Jacobsen parts and he graciously took the time to find me the gears off a used mower. However I think an even lower ratio of like 22-1 would be more ideal for the RXV especially with the available speed. So everyone put the pressure on Nivel to get with there engineers and machine up some gears!

fender6l6 07-10-2013 09:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 87958

Attachment 87959

Here is a couple pics of the gears I installed/replaced.They all look the same except the number of gears.The differential is easy to disassemble if you have any basic tools and a good set of snap ring pliers.

fender6l6 07-10-2013 09:51 PM

Sorry for the scrap copper view in the back ground lol.I have a small HVAC business for my day job.

cashfive 07-10-2013 10:16 PM

MAN, you are really into it. I'm getting a little old but am thinking about putting a lift kit and tires on my 2010 rxv. does yours act like the eletro brake is holding it back? Or is the brake to tight? Trying to figure it out. Anyone that has a wiring diagram 2008 - 2010 RXV, I sure would like to see it.

Good luck with your gear change