Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Allsports 8" Long Travel Lift Kit Install (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=180034)

Bdlebo 10-10-2021 10:28 AM

Allsports 8" Long Travel Lift Kit Install

Hi all,

I just received my Allsports lift kit after 26 weeks wait. It's an 8" long travel kit for my new Onward. Looking through the vague photo instructions with very little description on what to do, I'm fearing having to try and tackle it this upcoming week. Excited, but nervous. Does anyone have any pics of your cart with the kit installed? Any advice on the install? I'm being told that I will need spacers for the rear wheels. Does anyone know of what size spacers are needed in order to keep the rear wheel stance width equal to the the front?

Murby 10-10-2021 10:59 AM

Re: Allsports 8" Long Travel Lift Kit Install

I just finished installing their 6 inch long travel kit on my 2013 Precedent... this was my first golf cart.

The instructions are stupidly vague.. worse than most Chinese instructions.. in fact, the allsports documents make the Chinese look like pro's.

A lot of stuff really pissed me off about this $1000 kit, but in the end, I have to say that it is well built, and what it lacks in instructions, it makes up for in quality of build.

It really isn't that difficult to figure out just by looking at pictures. I found it helpful to download some of the instruction sets for their other lift kit products.. it helped piece information together.

The Good:
Really good build quality.
The ride is smooth, almost as smooth as my wife's SUV.

The bad:
Instructions are pathetically horrible.
My turning radius went from incredibly tight to that of a school bus.

Oh.. one other positive note.. I had some minor questions and called allsports to ask.. they couldn't give me good answers so they said they'd have someone call me back and I gave them my number.
The next day, the OWNER of AllSports called me and gave me all the information I was seeking and some information I didn't even know I wanted. A very helpful guy.. I think his name was Steve or something.. maybe Trevor? I forget, but he left his number with me and told me to call him anytime I have questions.. you don't see that every day.

Bdlebo 10-10-2021 02:31 PM

Thanks much for the feedback Murby, I appreciate that. Good to hear that the ride seems much better than that of your standard lift kits. That's a great idea about looking at some of their other instructions, that should help especially since all they seemed to do was toss all of the nuts and bolts in one box unlabeled for me to figure out where they all go. I was worried about the turning radius as well. They promised me that they had the smallest turning radius out of the the long travel kits out there, but that's yet to be seen. Again, I appreciate the feedback. Did you have to utilize wheel spacers on the rear tires?

Murby 10-11-2021 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdlebo (Post 1856671)
Thanks much for the feedback Murby, I appreciate that. Good to hear that the ride seems much better than that of your standard lift kits. That's a great idea about looking at some of their other instructions, that should help especially since all they seemed to do was toss all of the nuts and bolts in one box unlabeled for me to figure out where they all go. I was worried about the turning radius as well. They promised me that they had the smallest turning radius out of the the long travel kits out there, but that's yet to be seen. Again, I appreciate the feedback. Did you have to utilize wheel spacers on the rear tires?

No spacers needed but when I purchased my rims, I followed the allsports guidance that they need to be offset rims and so I got four of the same. I didn't even know what that meant when I first started.. Golfcarttiresupply had to explain it to me, so I bought the rims from them.

The space (distance) between my rear tires is slightly less than the front tires, but it doesn't stand out or anything.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm running Carlisle AT489's in a 23x9 size.. some of these guys are on 12 inch wide tires so maybe that requires spacers.. not sure.

When I got the kit installed, I took the cart for a ride.. first mud puddle I hit not only coated the entire golf cart, it coated my wife and I as well.. those tires sticking out without protection threw mud and water everywhere.. so on with the fenders right away, and that took care of the problem.. I can blast full speed through mud puddles now and not get a drop on either of us.

Being on a farm, a little known fact is that not all of those "mud puddles" are actually mud..

As for your box of screws.. The small short ones are for the aluminum diamond skid plate that's mostly for show.. should be 4 of them and 4 nuts to go with..

The longest screws are for bolting the sub-assembly (with shock tower) to the aluminum frame. There should be 4 of them.

The short fat screws are for bolting the suspension arms and frame to the shock tower assembly.

The last four are shoulder bolts that are used for the shock mounts.

There are several places that Allsports didn't feel inclined to include flat washers for... I went to the store and bought my own because flat washers serve an important function. Locknuts not required with the nylock nuts, but I felt the washers were.

Bdlebo 10-14-2021 04:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that much! Yes, I can imaging you're running over more than just mud at times being on a farm :lol:

I started the install today. Began on the rear portion. Ran into an issue right away with the bushings that they supplied for their HD springs. They had the rubber parts, but didn't include the metal sleeves that go in them. Called and they told me to use the ones out of the factory springs I removed. Unfortunately the holes in the factory ones are smaller than the 3/8" bolts they provide so I was out of luck. They had me send photos to them to take a look at, so waiting to hear something back.

Question, when you installed the lift in the rear, did you retain the bracket that bolts under the leaf spring? its the one that the U bolt goes through, but it also has a spot where the brake cable seats into. The brackets they sent me with the kit doesn't have the part where the brake cable can seat into. Wasn't sure if there's something I'm missing or not. Waiting for their response on this as well. Do you have any pics of your long travel lift after installation? If so, I'd be interested in seeing how the rear is set up and what brackets they sent you. Thanks!

Murby 10-15-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdlebo (Post 1857472)
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that much! Yes, I can imaging you're running over more than just mud at times being on a farm :lol:

I started the install today. Began on the rear portion. Ran into an issue right away with the bushings that they supplied for their HD springs. They had the rubber parts, but didn't include the metal sleeves that go in them. Called and they told me to use the ones out of the factory springs I removed. Unfortunately the holes in the factory ones are smaller than the 3/8" bolts they provide so I was out of luck. They had me send photos to them to take a look at, so waiting to hear something back.

Question, when you installed the lift in the rear, did you retain the bracket that bolts under the leaf spring? its the one that the U bolt goes through, but it also has a spot where the brake cable seats into. The brackets they sent me with the kit doesn't have the part where the brake cable can seat into. Wasn't sure if there's something I'm missing or not. Waiting for their response on this as well. Do you have any pics of your long travel lift after installation? If so, I'd be interested in seeing how the rear is set up and what brackets they sent you. Thanks!

Yes, retain the brake cable bracket and put it on last UNDER the All Sports bolt plate.. It goes on at a 45 degree angle, the same as original and there is plenty of u-bolt thread left for it.

Stand by for pics, have to go take some.

Murby 10-15-2021 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdlebo (Post 1857472)

Its dark out and I'm not having much luck with my tablet camera getting a decent photo..

Here's a photo were you can see the original brake cable bracket bolted to the bottom UNDER the allsports plate.

Bdlebo 10-15-2021 08:08 PM

Ok, great. That helps a lot. I appreciate it.. I’m going to check and see how I can line it up underneath.

Murby 10-15-2021 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdlebo (Post 1857664)
Ok, great. That helps a lot. I appreciate it.. I’m going to check and see how I can line it up underneath.

This diagram shows the brake cable bracket bolted ABOVE the new bottom plate.. but this is wrong on the Precedent as the brake cable plate has a bend in it.

Bolt it to the bottom.

Bdlebo 10-16-2021 07:52 PM

Perfect, thank you much! Just waiting on the correct bushing sleeves and then I’ll give it a try. I’ll post an update.